1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A "20 questions" application?

I've been retired from serious development for 10+ years, but a long-time friend asked for help.

He needs a web-based application that would step a logged in user through a series of about 20 questions.

Some questions would be easy to program/store results because they would be one or more "paragraphs" that the user would key in.

Others would be questions requiring multiple pieces of information with several data types (i.e. name, address, phone number, DOB, etc).

The sequence of the presentation of the questions would be totally controlled.

But my sense is it would be best to save each answer as you proceed. Whether skips would be allowed is to be determined.

Anybody know of an existing app in the public domain that does something like the above?

Candidly I'm trying to short-circuit the thinking about how to do it as much as possible.

TIA.
    Dave
  3. Contributing User

Sounds like what you need is a little on the custom side which means you may have a hard time finding a solution "out of the box" that will work for you. I would start with doing a basic "Blueprint" of exactly what you are wanting so you have a starting point for whatever direction you take. There is one very customizable source I can refer you to that may work for you. They offer a free trial. Check out https://exambuilder.com/
  5. Contributing User

If your friend is OK with an idea that questions/answers would actually be hosted on 3rd party website (and he would only provide a link to these questions), I would try Google Forms first. If that's not good, take a look at Lime Survey ( https://www.limesurvey.org/ ). I didn't run it myself, but demo videos seem to be promising.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by phpmillion
    If your friend is OK with an idea that questions/answers would actually be hosted on 3rd party website (and he would only provide a link to these questions), I would try Google Forms first. If that's not good, take a look at Lime Survey ( https://www.limesurvey.org/ ). I didn't run it myself, but demo videos seem to be promising.
    I took a look at limesurvey as a registered user. It is by far the absolute worst GUI/Program No Flow *cough* application I have ever (almost) seen. It is just plain very bad and extremely difficult to navigate in a proper flow of creating and publishing a survey/exam/quiz/whatever you want to call it. I have reviewed at some point, almost every Survey/Exam/Quiz application out there since I have a pet project for exams that I play around with and like to see how other people do things. If I, a very experienced user cannot find my way around the app, the average user is not going to either.
  9. Contributing User

Thanks for the input. It's possible their "showcase" videos actually displayed a highly-customized version then (it wouldn't be a surprise, though).
  11. Contributing User

Well, to give it one positive, it is "pretty", meaning it "looks" good. To be fair, I just logged in again and took a fresh look. Yeah, it sucks really bad. I find it hard to swallow the Wiki praise. Looking over the Github repository you will see it has a huuge codebase. Its like they had talented template designers and that's it. The SQL shows there is not a single Foreign Key in the entire DB so data integrity is completely dependent on the code. Numerous tables also have the ID set to varchar.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by phpmillion
    Thanks (to all) for the ideas/discussion.
    Not going to do 3rd party....but the basic functionality of a concept like Limesurvey is probably what I'll prescribe.

Dave

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo