Thread: Address Book

1. No Profile Picture
    chriz
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    Hi.
    I'm doing an e-mail address book in mysql and use php to do query's to the database and show it in www, but dose anyone know how i can or whant i can use to make outlook or some other windows email client use the address book as there address book ?

chriz.
  3. No Profile Picture
    jpenix
    Don't know of any way to make Outlook or other email programs use PHP/HTML output as an address book.

Two possible solutions:
    1) Simple - have your PHP scripts display the addresses as "mailto:" links in HTML. Clicking on them will automatically bring up your default mailer with the address filled in.

2) More difficult - set up a LDAP server to store your email/contact info instead of MySQL. PHP has functions to query LDAP and display the info just like from MySQL, and Outlook/OE/Netscape all support LDAP sources as address books.
  5. No Profile Picture
    chriz
    Well i guess i'll haveto take the hard way jpenix, but do you know where i can read about LDAP or is there some mailling list that you know off.

thx chriz.
  7. No Profile Picture
    jpenix
    You'll thank yourself in the future for taking the time to learn LDAP. It's becoming more and more widespread as time goes on...

Anyway, one of the more popular LDAP servers can be found at http://www.openldap.org/ along with documentation, etc.

Other LDAP docs, RFCs, etc can be found at http://www.umich.edu/~dirsvcs/ldap/doc/

If you have a Novell 5 server, it can provide LDAP services out of the NDS tree as well... check the docs.