1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi,

I have MySQL/PHP3 questbook. I use
    addslashes() before I add each new record to MySQL database.

As I understand in this case I need to use
    stripslashes() in order to output correctly all data from MySQL

Why all the data output is correct without stripslashes ?

I conected to MySQL via telnet and detected that after addslashes all the data saved without any changes (without backslashes).

Why it works so ?

Thanks in advance.

Roman

3. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    Whoever told you that you needed stripslashes() was incorrect. The idea of addslashes() is to escape any troublesome characters from text that you are inserting into your table. Let's say you are inserting the following text:

Let's party!

Now, if this is in a variable, say $quote, and you want to insert it like this:

$query="insert into table (column) values('$party')";

mysql would be sent the query as:

insert into table (column) values ('Let's party!');

As you can see the apostrophe in Let's would screw up the query. Using addslashes adds the slash before the apostrophe so if you did this:

$quote=addslashes($quote);

before the query, mysql would get:

and would insert into column the value "Let's party". The slash does not get saved because it's only function is to tell mysql that the ' is a literal apostrophe and not the end of the data.

Now, the reason some people think that you need stripslashes() is because it's mentioned in the manual as the complement to addslashes() AND the fact that many people have magic_quotes turned on which will automatically add slashes to any variables passed via get, post and cookie. Thus when they use addslashes() a second set of slashes gets added, equivelent to using addslashes() twice. If you do that in our example the resulting query would be:

because the slash itself would be escaped as would the apostrophe (again). This results in the value "Let's party!" being stored as ==a literal and ' means a literal ' so ' means a literal ' so to get the results you want which is just the ' you would have to use stripslashes().

I hope I made that understandable ;-)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks a lot.

Roman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rod k:
    Whoever told you that you needed stripslashes() was incorrect. The idea of addslashes() is to escape any troublesome characters from text that you are inserting into your table. Let's say you are inserting the following text:

Let's party!

Now, if this is in a variable, say $quote, and you want to insert it like this:

$query="insert into table (column) values('$party')";

mysql would be sent the query as:

As you can see the apostrophe in Let's would screw up the query. Using addslashes adds the slash before the apostrophe so if you did this:

$quote=addslashes($quote);

before the query, mysql would get:

and would insert into column the value "Let's party". The slash does not get saved because it's only function is to tell mysql that the ' is a literal apostrophe and not the end of the data.

Now, the reason some people think that you need stripslashes() is because it's mentioned in the manual as the complement to addslashes() AND the fact that many people have magic_quotes turned on which will automatically add slashes to any variables passed via get, post and cookie. Thus when they use addslashes() a second set of slashes gets added, equivelent to using addslashes() twice. If you do that in our example the resulting query would be:

because the slash itself would be escaped as would the apostrophe (again). This results in the value "Let's party!" being stored as ==a literal and ' means a literal ' so ' means a literal ' so to get the results you want which is just the ' you would have to use stripslashes().

I hope I made that understandable ;-)
    [/quote]