1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Advantages of learning PHP over Joomla and co.

Hi!

May I ask a one very crucial (it's vital, absolutelly) question, that I can not answer myself... Why would someone use PHP when the modules like Joomla are becoming so popular? I mean, I spent so much time in learning PHP, and HTML and CSS and jQuery and then comes someone and tells you that he is a web programmer working on Joomla, and as a matter of fact, Joomla sites look really pretty cool, compared to mine which I worked so long to develop it, and still has lot to do! So, I really get depressed... I don't know should I get on with it, or simply convert to Joomla.
    I just don't understand what are the PHP programmer advantages over Joomla and co. developers?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by viktorjano
    May I ask a one very crucial (it's vital, absolutelly) question, that I can not answer myself... Why would someone use PHP when the modules like Joomla are becoming so popular?
    I started off using Joomla and made some progress. Then I got to the point where I wanted to do things which were not typical Joomla tasks, and found myself spending more time troubleshooting and modifying a complicated mess. I have since abandoned Joomla and am very happy I did.

PS. If you really want to effectively develop using Joomla, you still need your PHP/JS/SQL skills, so don't feel depressed!
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

the question makes no sense.

A “Joomla developer” is a PHP developer. They need all the skills of a PHP developer (regarding PHP, HTML, CSS etc.) plus additional knowledge about Joomla. So they actually have to learn more than if they just used plain PHP.

On the other hand, a CMS is a very small subset of what PHP is capable of doing. Personally, I'd find it very boring to only write plugins for the same CMS all the time. And I certainly wouldn't wanna use Joomla for all of my websites.

So this idea of “I can stop learning PHP/HTML/... and just use Joomla” doesn't work. You need to know PHP/HTML/... really well before you can become a Joomla developer. And you probably won't wanna be a Joomla programmer for your whole life.

Maybe what you actually mean when talking about the benefits of Joomla is a PHP or GUI framework. Something that takes care of all the low-level stuff. Check out Laravel for the code and Bootstrap for the graphics.
    The 6 worst sins of securityHow to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why can’t I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  7. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Joomla is written in PHP.

The "developer" showing you his Joomla work is basically saying "hey, I took a tool (that someone else wrote in PHP) to make good looking websites, and made a good looking website with it". So what, he put some content into a content management system, added some plugins and told them where to display and edited their configuration (via a web-gui!) to make them look pretty.

As others have said, if you want to make these modules for Joomla, you need to know PHP and how Joomla works.
    If you only want to make nice looking CMS systems for people and don't need to or care about how it works under the hood, then stop reading PHP books and read Joomla books instead.
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984
  9. No Profile Picture

I got the point. Thanks! This last answer was truly straightforward!!! Anyway, thanks to Jacques and to NotionCommotion, as well.
  11. No Profile Picture

Disadvantages of using Joomla Bigger learning curve Wordpress is better for simpler sites Not SEO friendly out of the box Javascript and CSS can get bulky Slower loading time Possible additional hosting costs Development is too clumsy if you want to change the layout Some Plugins cost money while many are free with wordpress. May need a developer for some of the changes

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo