1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Advice -- where to start programming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I do not know if at my age (35) would be good I'm pretty old and would like to start studying a easy programming language but this has very high demand and pay good money, all my experience is in network, wireless and server. What do you suggest? all my exp is in network, wireless and windows server and "ZERO EXp in programming." thanks for you.
  3. Anemic Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Do you want to switch careers to PHP? Web development? Programming in general?
  5. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by lmgpr7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I do not know if at my age (35) would be good I'm pretty old and would like to start studying a easy programming language but this has very high demand and pay good money, all my experience is in network, wireless and server. What do you suggest? all my exp is in network, wireless and windows server and "ZERO EXp in programming." thanks for you.
    Wow, I am 36 and performing that exact transition (except I have a years commerical PHP experience now)!

Seriously, PHP's good and, with a few years of experience, can bring in some decent - especially if you have good front-end skills too (eg. Drupal customisation etc) - if not, then you're looking at a junior position and that can be a lot less than you're probably expecting.

I've been offered positions starting from as little as 18,000 per year which is a huge drop to the salary I'm on now as Systems Engineer - however, do persist if it's something you really want - identify projects to give you that commerical experience (in-house solutions to start with) and go from there.

In a years time, if your work is good enough then you may find, like I have, someone willing to offer you a position at a decent wage and provide training (and the appropriate bump up in salary once done).

Like I said, find some internal projects and write an intranet page for it, for example, my first PHP project was an helpdesk / incident ticket logging system and I've gone onwards from there.

Good luck!!
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There is no such thing as an easy programming language. But if you focus on learning programming principles, then it'll make it easier in the long run to switch from one language to another.

I'm also 35 and have switched from a career in health and social care to development. My suggestion is to learn any problem-orientated language (C, BASIC, Java, PHP etc...) and then try to get your code working in another language. For instance, I learnt mostly Java at Uni, and found the transition to C quite easy because I focussed on programming principles rather than worrying about syntax.

When I learnt some MIPs assembly (which is somewhat similar to 6502), I wrote each sub-routine in BASIC first and reverse engineered the BASIC routine to MIPs. I then wrote something similar in Visual C++ using the .net stuff.

At the moment, I'm on PHP/HTML/MySQL but would happily work with any other language I'm given. Language snobs waste time with arbitrary intellectual arguments about why one language is better than another and other pointless debates - by the time these people have concluded their arguments, I'll have learnt the principles of a whole other language and already be developing it in. Be pragmatic and remember it's important to get the job done with the tools that you're given.

Regards,

Shaun.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    i dont know my exp is in network ccna, windows server, wireless network CWNA, and i have some web page for cust. i used joomla for do that. i looking easy language with high demand and good pay for the future.

thank for you advaice
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    i dont know my exp is in network ccna, windows server, wireless network CWNA, and i have some web page for cust. i used joomla for do that. i looking easy language with high demand and good pay for the future.

thank for you advaice
  13. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

thank for you advaice
    I've come from MCP / MCSE background and have done many a joomla site, yes, it's quick, it's easy but have you seen the code for it? That's not quick or easy to learn ... PHP however is, it's quite straight forward and as long as you're willing to try, this forum is an excellent resource as there are people from all kinds of skill levels.

As I suggested in my previous post, try to write yourself a small web-app and go from there. There's hundreds, nay, thousands of PHP tutorials for every skill level so I suggest you read those.

Of course, if you don't get or like PHP, Jaques is always on about Ruby or Python as alternatives so maybe try those instead?

You've nothing to lose by having a play and if you don't have a web-server at work, you can set a Linux, Apache, MySQL PHP server up on an old, low spec PC; all the software's free and with say OpenSuse, is as easy to install as a typical Windows program (again, there's a billion and one tutorials out there to help you get going, and as many forums as you can shake a stick at if you get stuck!)
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo