1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Advice on starting a web development career

Hi

I am looking for some advice on starting a career in web development programming. I have a good understanding of PHP5, MYSQL,HTML5,CSS3 and XML, also I have a little knowledge of JavaScript and AJAX . I am a little confused about what employers are looking for and to what depth of knowledge they want. All my knowledge is self taught so I have no certificates to my name, will this effect my chance of getting a job?
    Dose anyone have any tips or advice on where to start? I know that applying for a job might be a good place to start but I am worried about wasting my time as I donít think I have enough knowledge and experience yet.
  3. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

As a senior tech involved in the recruitment process I need evidence that a new employee can do the job required. This hinges on experience. This can be from previous employment, education and freelance work.

So, look for junior roles and freelance work to get your experience up.

Experience will probably teach you the bits you missed when learning things for yourself - which in 99% of cases is security
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you have nobody who can vouch for your experience, you should build an online portfolio. Open source the code for some online app of some sort. Even if it's just a blog you wrote entirely yourself, put it out there.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the advice, I will look for junior roles and make a portfolio.
    What are the usual job requirements for a junior web developer? Is an applicant supposed to have a great knowledge of all aspects of web development or do you hire people with an ok knowledge but with a vast knowledge in one area?
    Is a good level of PHP security desirable to an employer?
    Sorry its a lot of questions I am trying to work out the path I should take with my learning to get me to my goal.
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Usually the individual requirements are "knows PHP, HTML, and JavaScript." You won't get many job listings that specify specific pieces of PHP or sub-technologies. Working knowledge of security is a definite plus, but don't put "security expert" on your profile unless you're prepared to argue security with their director of development (usually someone like me).
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo