1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Nobbies beach, Gold Coast. It's beautiful.

Alternative solution for Paypal. Paypal SUCKS.

So;

I have my new site up and running. Ran all the tests. Adwards on Google. 20 new members in 24 hours, everything going good. All my tests with Paypal F*ckin express check out work fine and I get 4 phone calls of members who want to pay and say transaction failed! So I have to do that on the phone and get them to pay by on line net bank which is extra f*ucked up.

What is wrong? I run tests and make payments and they all go through fine!

Why some members have problems with Paypal? Is there a better easier company to work with?

PAYPAL SUCKS and their documentation is even more f*cked up!
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Check out swipe and google payments. There's a few monetization/ecommerce platforms outside of paypal for small businesses.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Web Developer/Musician
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I agree that the paypal docs are pretty bad, however the way to deal with an intermittant or edge case problem isn't to switch to a different vendor. Do some logging of what is happening during the process. Log all requests to paypal and all errors coming back from the system. Input and output. Could even be user error or it could be under certain conditions you have missing data that paypal requires. The more information you have about what a user is doing, the easier it will be to troubleshoot.
  7. Sarcky

Paypal reserves the right to never give you the money you charged. I wouldn't use them just for that. Look at all the trouble PayPal has caused with regretsy, for one example. Penny-Arcade had a similar adventure but seem to have deleted their news post about it, probably for legal reasons. Paypal also ordered the destruction of a stradivarius, refunding the money to the unhappy buyer who destroyed the priceless instrument.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. Web Developer/Musician
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Paypal reserves the right to never give you the money you charged. I wouldn't use them just for that. Look at all the trouble PayPal has caused with regretsy, for one example. Penny-Arcade had a similar adventure but seem to have deleted their news post about it, probably for legal reasons. Paypal also ordered the destruction of a stradivarius, refunding the money to the unhappy buyer who destroyed the priceless instrument.
    That may be true, but in general if you have a problem with an API dumping it before you make a decent effort to debug what's happening isn't the way to do it.
  11. Sarcky

Well I assumed his problems with paypal were twofold: (1) PayPal is a horrifying organization and (2) the APIs are malfunctioning randomly. If he likes PayPal and is just giving up after a small number of uninvestigated errors, you're right, he should debug.

13. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Nobbies beach, Gold Coast. It's beautiful.
    I never liked Paypal. The documentation is f*cked, the support is horrible.

They once locked $1500 of my money for 6 months.

I only use it because I haven't had time to check out alternative solutions.
  15. Sarcky

Stripe just got bought out for billions of dollars. Give them a shot.

Their valuation is totally screwed up though, my company is the enterprise version of stripe and there's no way even we would be worth billions. Don't buy their stock, just use their service.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo