Thread: ASP x PHP

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I am beginning and wanted to know which the basic difference, advantages and disadvantages of each language?

------------------
    thanks
    Junior
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, 's far as I know, ASP is more like an environment that can host more than one language, for example, VB script, VB or even Perl. According to the experts, ASP is best used with straight VB and COM objects, because they run faster etc. etc. You embed ASP into your HTML code.

PHP is also embedded into your HTML code, although (like ASP), you can use third party template systems to create a multi-tier system.

If you already know VB, then theoretically, ASP might be easier to learn. But the wealth of features specifically for networks and the web that are built into PHP, will end up saving you massive amounts of coding time.

------------------
    PHP, Perl, SQL Programming at http://www.mentalobjects.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I agree completely with esconsult. I have used ASP in the past, but once I found PHP I was hooked. The sheer number of useful features is amazing, and WILL save time.

The main difference between the two, though, is one of mindset. PHP is open source, meant to run on more than one operating system. (although initially with Unix in mind)
    ASP was written for a Windows server, although you now get a third-party product that lets ASP run on a Unix server (I doubt ithe performance is as good).

I simply like the feel of PHP better, and prefer the stability and power of a Unix server. PHP code to me is much more readable and efficient, and it was written with the web in mind from the outset, while VB was not.
  7. No Profile Picture

thank's for your help.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rycamor:
    I agree completely with esconsult. I have used ASP in the past, but once I found PHP I was hooked. The sheer number of useful features is amazing, and WILL save time.

The main difference between the two, though, is one of mindset. PHP is open source, meant to run on more than one operating system. (although initially with Unix in mind)
    ASP was written for a Windows server, although you now get a third-party product that lets ASP run on a Unix server (I doubt ithe performance is as good).

I simply like the feel of PHP better, and prefer the stability and power of a Unix server. PHP code to me is much more readable and efficient, and it was written with the web in mind from the outset, while VB was not.
    [/quote]