1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi,

I am trying to password protect my webpages made with PHP. I know how to authenticate one page with header, but I need all my other pages to be protected (without using .htaccess). Is there any way to keep a variable in a session or something to identify that the user has been authorized? Then maybe check that session variable in the following pages: deny access if the user is not granted acess in that first page? I don't really understand the PHP session stuff. I have read PHP.net and some other tutorials... and learnt that sessions are associated with cookies. So if I store a variable with a session, can the user can change it in the cookie?

A simple example would be nice. Thanks for your help in advance.
  3. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

If you know how to password protect pages with header, all you need to do is have your header in a separate file and then call this header-page on every page you want to protect. Just use an include on top of every page.
    <?
    include("header_page.php");
    ?>

/NoXcuz
  5. No Profile Picture

Oh that's right! Since it is within the same browser, the ID and password infomation is still there. But I also tried it with sessions. I have a variable like $verified=1 in the first page:

session_start();
    session_register('verified');
    $verified = 1;

And for the rest of the pages I have:

session_start();
    if ($verified == 1) {
    //ok
    } else {
    //not authorized yet
    }

This seems to work too. Which is better?

Thanks for your response.

7. No Profile Picture

How do you protect a page with header?

I have a login page, lets call the file - login.php:
    username: ___________
    password: ___________
    [] remember password

So if username & password are correct, the login.php page dispays a message and a link to a folder, let call it "private".

If username & password are not correct, the login.php displays an error message.

The problem I'm having is:
    Once your login succesfully, and you click on a link, it'll take you to the folder "private". BUT if you don't login, and just type URL to the folder "private" you still can access that folder! So I need some kind of protection in that folder... so it would check if I used login.php to login, and if not, redirect user back to login.php
    I've tried:
    if (!isset ($password)) {
    header (Location: "/login.php");
    }
    esle {
    exit;
    }
    This would work fine, but I have SetCookies in the page header, so the above thing doesn't work.. can anyone help?
  9. No Profile Picture

pashamu:

Just try what I did in message #2. The session's "verified" variable is what I check in every page to be sure the user has been authorized already. But I am not sure if it is really that secure... seems to work for now. Or, you can try what NoXcuz suggested. I didn't try that one yet since mine is working, but I think it should work well too. I just want to know which one is more secure....

NoXcuz:
    If I used your method, how do I log out? Since the browswer will still think you are authorized, you can simply press BACK to get to the page again. How can I log out effectively without closing the browser window? (Which works)

[This message has been edited by syin (edited November 15, 2000).]