1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Beginner php project with mysql

Hello,

I've spent a month or two working on learning PHP now. I have the luxury to have a private PHP teacher due to work! Lucky me, right? Anyways, I've got the basics down, and we've ventured into communicating with MySQL databases now. 2 months might sound short but I've done it before 3 years ago, but lost my knowledge due to some events, but some things were easy for me to pick up again.

So now that we've started working with MySql as well, I was wondering what a good beginners project would be? I was thinking something like a blog but I feel that might still be a little too difficult, so here I am, asking you guys! What were your first projects? What would you recommend? What would you not recommend?
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

a blog sounds like a good idea, because you can make it as simple or difficult as you want. You can start with a plain list of texts and then add new features one after another (an administrator backend, comments, maybe user accounts, ...).

One thing I strongly recommend is that you write modern and secure code from the beginning. Many PHP beginners waste their time with outdated techniques and insecure practices, which is totally unnecessary.

• Use one of the contemporary database extensions. Don't run around with the ancient mysql_* functions.
    • Make sure you get a basic understanding of security risks and how to write secure and robust code.
    • Consider using a template engine like Twig to separate the HTML stuff from your code.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

useful response, thank you very much I've thought of a nice project to start working on, something that I can start of small yet turn into a site with many possibilities and things to do! very excited to get started, and thanks for the link to the FAQs, they will come in handy for sure.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo