1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Book Recommendations...

Hi All,

First post on the forum, here goes...

I'm new to PHP but am keen to learn more as i really like the language. So far I have gone through a bunch of youtube tutorials (mostly to do with setting up websites with secure logins and such) and have worked through the Sam's Teach yourself guides 'PHP, MySQL and Apache all in one' and 'SQL'. Currently I am working through the 4th edition of "PHP and MySQL for dynamic websites" by Larry Ullman and am coming to the end of it. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for further reading/self direction with PHP. I was thinking of looking into some books on Object Oriented PHP -or is that too soon?

Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated
  3. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Nobbies beach, Gold Coast. It's beautiful.
    Originally Posted by blackholesun
    Hi All,

First post on the forum, here goes...

I'm new to PHP but am keen to learn more as i really like the language. So far I have gone through a bunch of youtube tutorials (mostly to do with setting up websites with secure logins and such) and have worked through the Sam's Teach yourself guides 'PHP, MySQL and Apache all in one' and 'SQL'. Currently I am working through the 4th edition of "PHP and MySQL for dynamic websites" by Larry Ullman and am coming to the end of it. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for further reading/self direction with PHP. I was thinking of looking into some books on Object Oriented PHP -or is that too soon?

Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated
    Learn this.
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Definitely learn OOP, I don't know how you got to the place you are without it anyway. Two whole books without a class? Ridiculous!

CodeIgniter is good, sure. Any framework might be good for you at this point. Symfony is interesting as well.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks both for the replies... I'll have a look at the frameworks you have linked. It may seem odd that i have got as far as i have writing php without classes but that's due to the reading material i have been following: the books approach the program code in a procedural rather than o-o manner (i did say i'm new to this ) -hence the question asking for further reading recommendations.

I want to learn it from the ground up as i am a bit of a geek tbh... So any reference book recommendations would be most welcome (and helpful)
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I learned on my own, though I've always recommended this one (technically I recommend this one but the other is newer and covers more topics)
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the recommendation I was looking at the php/javascript/sql/css book the other day, so i i think i'll place the order ...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

why are you wasting your time with books? when you can get the info from the internet? i mean how much learning do you need to do?
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by paulh1983
    why are you wasting your time with books? when you can get the info from the internet? i mean how much learning do you need to do?
    At least with books i have a permanent body of reference just in case of loss of connectivity (it does happen now and again, you know). Why the unnecessarily hostile line of questioning?

Comments on this post

• Matt1776 disagrees : {0} what is hostile about what he said? Perhaps we should all just remain a little more objective in a medium where 'tone' does not translate *at all*
  17. A Change of Season

Nobbies beach, Gold Coast. It's beautiful.
    I personally find well written reliable books better that www for quite few reasons:
    1. The content is orgonized, structured and teach everything in the right order.
    2. Reliable. There are many garbage resources on the net. Very dangerous for beginners.
    3. No need to have internet connection at all times. I use Calibre to convert and move books to other devices.
    4. In some cases gurus say use Php.net but php.net is a complete refernece, it is NOT a teaching tool. There is no standard universal online resource that teaches php like a book. At least I am not aware of.

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees : Yep
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm
    I personally find well written reliable books better that www for quite few reasons:
    1. The content is orgonized, structured and teach everything in the right order.
    2. Reliable. There are many garbage resources on the net. Very dangerous for beginners.
    3. No need to have internet connection at all times. I use Calibre to convert and move books to other devices.
    4. In some cases gurus say use Php.net but php.net is a complete refernece, it is NOT a teaching tool. There is no standard universal online resource that teaches php like a book. At least I am not aware of.
    ^This is basically why i would rather use books. Thanks for articulating it better than i did
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by blackholesun
    At least with books i have a permanent body of reference just in case of loss of connectivity (it does happen now and again, you know). Why the unnecessarily hostile line of questioning?
    you know you can get free (legal) books from the internet, there are good websites... etc.

I really do not have a problem with you buying books if that is how you learn but in this day and age when you can get everything from the internet, I was just curious why you would "waste/spend" your money on books.

Thanks Matt, I wasn't being hostile, i was just saying whether OP can get free information from the net and save some $$$ is all.

Above else, the way you "learn" is not just reading, by creating a website/software etc
  23. No Profile Picture

you know you can get free (legal) books from the internet, there are good websites... etc.

I really do not have a problem with you buying books if that is how you learn but in this day and age when you can get everything from the internet, I was just curious why you would "waste/spend" your money on books.

Thanks Matt, I wasn't being hostile, i was just saying whether OP can get free information from the net and save some $$$ is all.

Above else, the way you "learn" is not just reading, by creating a website/software etc
    Yeah, i know i can get free pdf's of books and such online and if there were any recommended then ofc i'd look them up

I use the books to create sites/apps -that is how i learn. I understand that i can save $$$ getting the info for free off the net but like the other posters have said here, as well as there being a wealth of good info out there, there is also a lot of crap and/or outdated info as well and for someone fairly fresh to php like myself, sorting that out can be a lengthy process in itself which can have a serious impact on the learning.

A well written, decent reference book is worth more than the jacket price (believe me i have tons of reference books on stuff not related to computers and programming) and until they come up with a failure-proof way of electronically storing data, i'll keep all my most valued reference info stored on the treeware

Sorry for misinterpreting the intent of your original reply btw, text can be a pretty ambiguous form of expression (especially regarding intent)...
  25. Autodidact
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Updated June 2010 for PHP5.3:

http://www.amazon.com/Objects-Patter...=matt+zandstra

Published July 2007:

http://www.amazon.com/PHP-Action-Obj...=php+in+action

In terms of books, just make sure you try and get updated material. The first book from 2010 is well-regarded, as is the second, but it's older.

If you are intent on learning PHP OOP, be especially wary of old publications (should cover a minimum of >=php5.3). You want to be sure to cover namespaces, and registering autoloaders (read PSR-0).

Also:

http://www.phptherightway.com/

https://phpbestpractices.org/
    Last edited by f_nietzsche; April 25th, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
    Soldiers, from the height of these pyramids forty centuries look down upon you.
    ▪ Napoleon, on the eve of the Battle of the Pyramids
  27. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the recommendations and links -i'll certainly spend some time over the weekend looking them up and working out a way forward from there

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo