1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Building My Own CMS/Platform

Hello,

I need advice…please help..

I owned HTML5 kindergarten website. It's static website.
    The website designed in Dreamweaver CS3 from HTML5 template.

I would like to make it dynamic (content management), I mean that I could add pages, images, videos from some interface/platform (something like WIX concept)

Do I need to hire some web developer what will develop this kind of platform to make this website or I can use editors like ckeditor.

In the bottom line I want when the kindergarten teacher enter the website, she will see two fields: username and password. After login she could see kind of control panel with pages names of the website. She could get in update the content of the pages and add new pages + images to the website. In the end of each update she will save the changes by pressing "save" button.

I know you probably think that the perfect solution for this is to wordpress or joomla…. but I need to build my unique platform.

1. I don't know what I need for this: Sever Side - Data Base solution? PHP developing?
    2. Who do I need to hire?
    3. Do I need to hire PHP developer for this? How much this could cost?
    4. Is it difficult or maybe I can use some free solutions for this (some converter from static to dynamic, I don't know)
    5. If I want to make it by my self, what do I need to learn to develop this kind of platform by my self?

I will be thankful and appreciate each answer of you.

It is important to me to develop my own platform or to use some relevant tools to make my platform unique.

Thanks,

Svetlana.
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Tell me, what's more important: getting this done well, securely, and cheaply, or doing it yourself slowly and insecurely?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Tell me, what's more important: getting this done well, securely, and cheaply, or doing it yourself slowly and insecurely?
    Thanks for reply,

Tell me please, Is it so difficult to to make simple HTML5 website to dynamic one (content management), I mean that I ONLY could add pages, images from my own interface?

Very simple interface: login ---> add new page ---> add new image in the page - that's it!

I will have many users for these kindergardens websites. Each worker will upload articles (new pages), images weekly or maybe each day so the parents will see the pictures and updates in the website.

I also don't want to teach every time my workers wordpress or joomla. Just login to simple and funny interface to click on "add new page" to insert some pages with content and if needed to add some images.

Do you think it is so difficult to develop?

Thank you for your replies.

Svetlana.
  7. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's not difficult, in the grand scheme of things.

I'm thinking about more than just "how hard would it be to write the code to do this". I'm thinking about security, like how you need to worry about user authentication and access control and image uploads, and about features, like different types of pages with different types of dynamic content and different themes for pages, and about supporting the result, like how you'll need to support it or else train someone to and to add or change features and to help the product evolve over time to make sure they don't just replace it in a couple years.

As a developer I love reinventing the wheel. I do it a lot. But I do that only for my own personal stuff because I recognize that sometimes there is more to it than just typing code into some files.

But that's all I have to say on the subject. Still want to do it yourself?

How much PHP do you know? Maybe you know some other language? Done anything beyond just static webpages? Worked with databases?
    Have you talked with the client/school about requirements? You need to know more than just "a dynamic site". Way more. What kinds of users are there? What kinds of pages?
    When someone uploads an image how do they get it into the page template? Ask them to enter BBCode- or Wiki-type markup? Or HTML? If you allow HTML then exactly how much would you want to allow? Or maybe ckeditor? What markup should it allow and do you know how to validate that markup server-side?
    What's the project lifecycle? Timeframe? Budget? Is it just you or can you get other developers involved? How large a site do you need to cover? Any potential problems migrating the existing content or will everything be brand new?

I'm not just flooding you with questions to persuade you to use an existing solution. I'm flooding you with questions because I know how projects like these go, and what can go wrong, and what you can do to avoid potential problems.
    Seriously, you need to spend time planning: jumping into the code now will get you running all over the place before you eventually settle in the right direction.

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 agrees
    • PaulGer agrees
  9. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi Svetlana,

I think you grossly underestimate the effort this will take. From the outside, a CMS may be "just a bunch of buttons and textareas". But there's a lot more to do on the backend. Most of the tasks and problems you probably haven't even considered yet.

Sure, an experienced programmer can do this. But experienced programmers are expensive. And becoming one yourself takes years of practicing. So unless you're willing to invest thousands of dollars or a lot of time, you're better off using standard software.

Do not, I repeat, do not assume that all you have to do is make PHP write some HTML files into the document root of your server. If you try that, your server and the poor parents visiting the site will be "hacked" before you even know what's wrong. Also, do not believe the people telling you that they'll write the code for cheap money. You'd be back in a couple of weeks, asking us to fix a bunch of crap code and complaining about the programmer who has suddenly disappeared (we've had that several times in this forum).

To do this properly, you'll need one of three things:

• a lot of time and willingness to learn programming (one year minimum)
    • money
    • an altruistic programmer with lots of experience and time who's willing to do this for free
    The 6 worst sins of securityHow to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why can’t I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  11. No Profile Picture

Thank you guys for your help...

Hi,
    Thank you guys for your help...

It is really sounds not an easy thing to do, so I though with my self and I think to use existing CMS is the right thing to do and I think I will go with wordpress.

Please advice me if you know:

1. The easiest way to convert already designed html5 website to wordpress - where are many ways I google it and saw in youtube, but which one the safe one and fast? If where a way to do it with some wordpress plugin?

2. If I want to limit my website with pages in wordpress, I mean I want that the admin could not add more than 1000 pages per website for example?

3. Can you tell me please what main advantages of joomla/drupal of worpress. I mean I probably will go with wordpress, but is any advantage for others CMS platforms not worpress?

Thank you again, you helped me a lot.

Svetlana.
  13. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

There are many advantages to using any CMS platform over Wordpress. Namely Wordpress is not a CMS, while the others are. (Wordpress is a blogging platform which can be hacked extended to behave like a CMS.

From my experience I would suggest MODx, not just because it is my favourite, but because you have an existing template to start off with and IMO MODx will thus offer a path of least resistance. ( unless, of course, your template was a wordpress template ! ). You would need to add wayfinder, tinymce and codemirror to MODx but this is easy through the admin interface
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo