1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

What has changed in php since 2008?

Ok I am a bit cofused here!

I am readin this book that has originally been written in 2008.

It says the code in this book is designed to work with php 5.2 and 5.3 and also php 6!

First of all php 6? Why is he mentioning php 6 back in 2008? Isn't php 5.4 just out?

Secondly, are the books writen in 2008 still valid in 2013? I am about to buy this but I dont know if it out dated or still valid.

Please advice.

Thanks
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

PHP6 was the next new thing which was really going to happen, we promise.

Then it didn't happen.

A lot of publications took the list of things which were supposed to be in PHP6 and wrote "PHP6 ready" books ahead of the curve so they'd be on the shelf when PHP6 dropped, then it never did.

Most of it (traits, closures, better namespacing, etc) made it into 5.4, the only thing which didn't was extensive and universal unicode support (I think, requinix will come in and correct me).

The PHP changelog will tell you every single change to the language organized by date.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Correct. Unicode (and better overall multibyte support) was going to be the primary selling point of PHP 6, but IIRC that turned out to be harder and more complicated to implement than expected, technically and politically, and the whole version got shelved because of it. Most everything else made its way into 5.3 and 5.4.
  7. A Change of Season

So the books I mentioned above are still valid and are gonna be valid for a while?
  9. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

I don't think it's super important for a book to cover every new fancy feature. Many of them you'll probably never use.

What's important is that the book has taken the leap into the 21. century: It should use PDO/MySQLi instead of the old MySQL extension, it should not rely on "features" like magic quotes, it should not use hopelessly outdated functions like ereg_replace() etc.

That will tell you much more than a "PHP 6 ready" label (is that something like "HD ready"?) or any other claim about supporting a specific PHP version.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  11. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

I don't think it's super important for a book to cover every new fancy feature. Many of them you'll probably never use.

What's important is that the book has taken the leap into the 21. century: It should use PDO/MySQLi instead of the old MySQL extension, it should not rely on "features" like magic quotes, it should not use hopelessly outdated functions like ereg_replace() etc.

That will tell you much more than a "PHP 6 ready" label (is that something like "HD ready"?) or any other claim about supporting a specific PHP version.
    Jacques would you please have a a glance at the restful book and give me a quick feed back? Thanks
  13. --

Well, based on the snippets at Google books, I didn't find any big WTFs.

Note, however, that one reviewer complains about the book being outdated, so you might not be able to use all examples directly. But the general topic hasn't changed since 2008.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  15. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Well, based on the snippets at Google books, I didn't find any big WTFs.

Note, however, that one reviewer complains about the book being outdated, so you might not be able to use all examples directly. But the general topic hasn't changed since 2008.
    Thanks! I'm gonna spend some time on REST and then move to SOAP. Very curious about webservices.
  17. Mad Scientist

A direct answer to your post title,"What has changed in php since 2008?", can be found here: PHP Releases
    Last edited by ManiacDan; March 14th, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo