Thread: Cookies

1. No Profile Picture
    stefanbecker
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    Hi,

i want to make a user friendly site. I am working on a little searchengine. I want to make the site so a user can set up their own look and functions, like how much output after a query or if he wants the news on the index page and so on. I heard its a good thing to use cookies for that. I already studied the cooky func but there are a few things i dont get.
    How many variables can I save to a cooky?
    How do I get the variables out of a cooky?
    There is a time field to set up but i want it to be available forever, how can i dot that?

Thx for answer
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    Basiclly PHP treats cookies as if they where a variable. You don't store any number of variables inside a cookie per se, but the cookie itself is the variable and it's value is equal to whatever text you stored in the cookie.

For example if I stored a cookie name UserConfig with the value "bleh" on a user's machine, the next time that user access one of my sites the variable $UserConfig will equal "bleh"

If you need to store more than one variable in a cookie take a look at the serialize/unserialize and the explode/implode functions. They will enable you to store multiple values in one cookie.

Also you have to specify a time for the cookie to expire. You can not set a cookie to last forever. The best you can do is to set it for the maximum time you can.