1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How much does it cost to hire a code reviewer?

Well I have a major version of my ORM-MVC based software planned to release a few months from now. I plan to have someone doing serious code review for the application before it is released to public, but I dont assume it will be free service for application of mine's size. So I was wondering, how much does it cost to do code review from advanced or professional programmers? Does it depend on how big the application is and how long it will take for them to read through each line? Also how many code reviews(1, 2 or 3+) are necessary to get an entire picture of how my project stands?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

In the US, an expert programmer working on a short term contract basis will probably cost you $100 - $200 per hour. They will almost certainly do the review on an hourly basis, so how much it costs depends on how large the application is, how thoroughly you want them to review/test it, and how many problems they find.

The more reviewers you have, the more diverse your feedback will be. If you choose to have multiple reviewers, I recommend hiring them independently (vs using multiple reviewers from the same source).
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    In the US, an expert programmer working on a short term contract basis will probably cost you $100 - $200 per hour. They will almost certainly do the review on an hourly basis, so how much it costs depends on how large the application is, how thoroughly you want them to review/test it, and how many problems they find.

The more reviewers you have, the more diverse your feedback will be. If you choose to have multiple reviewers, I recommend hiring them independently (vs using multiple reviewers from the same source).
    Wow $100-200 per hour? Thats a lot, I probably cant pay more than $500. Thanks for telling me this, I will see how this works out though...
  7. Sarcky

It depends on what you want it for. There are multiple ways to review code. In order of complexity:

1) For syntax. This can be done by a high school student or, like my company, an automated program. Cheap, and it will tell you if the code is lined up properly and executes as code.

2) For malice. Many companies stop here. What you need is a decently skilled junior developer to read the code looking for any criminal activity. Hidden routines, back doors, oddly written transmission functions, etc.

3) For business logic. A senior-level engineer needs to review business logic, to ensure that the code does vaguely what the business would want it to do. Bugs and logical errors are beyond their scope, but if the page is designed to link coupons to items, that should basically be what the code does.

4) Full review. The best programmer you can find will check the code for syntax, layout, malice, business logic, and evaluate the structure of the code itself for logical errors, bugs, and inefficiencies.

#1, as I said, can be a free program you download from the internet. #4 will be $200/hr. Just realize that the less you pay, the less they'll do. I do code reviews for already-reviewed code from our outsourcing team. They employ full time code reviewers. I still routinely catch things like infinite loops, misspelled variables and functions, and logic which is simply...wrong.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I see, thanks a lot for your detailed explanation ManiacDan. I am not going to hire someone to do a thorough code review, at least not for syntax issues since I am quite good at them. With the help of Netbeans, even typos can be avoided perfectly.

I am more interested in having an advanced/professional programmer review the object-oriented/architecture design of my script. I am designing a software using MVC-ORM, so I want to know how good my designs are and what are the possible issues with the design. Is there any security, performance and future extensibility problems? Also I want someone to tell me how object oriented my softwares are, and how I can further improve the object oriented design. It may sound like a lot, but the point is that they do not need to go over every single script file. Just a few core files should be enough to give them a good picture of how it looks.
  11. Sarcky

With the help of Netbeans, even typos can be avoided perfectly.
    Famous last words.

I am more interested in having an advanced/professional programmer review the object-oriented/architecture design of my script. I am designing a software using MVC-ORM, so I want to know how good my designs are and what are the possible issues with the design. Is there any security, performance and future extensibility problems? Also I want someone to tell me how object oriented my softwares are, and how I can further improve the object oriented design.
    You're going to need someone very expensive, but fortunately not that much of their time.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

to find possible issues, have questions in your mind of possible things that your system needs to do i.e.:

1. can a user login with my system. look at the tables involved & their relationships if any to see if you would be able to write a query to do that

2. can a user log out from the system.
    and so on...
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

@ ManiacDan:
    I see, thanks for your comment. I hope it wont take a coder too long to review the code too, otherwise the payment will be way beyond what I can afford. After all, I dont need them to point out the tiny bit details of the problems, its mostly about application design and how object oriented the script is.

@ Paulh1983:
    I appreciate your input, but I dont think you really understand what I was trying to ask for. Of course I will make sure a user can login or logout, I have complete confidence in the system's working properly. Its more about the design that I am worried about, after all it will be my very first huge project to design a complete architecture from scratch.
  17. Did you steal it?

Originally Posted by Hall of Famer
    With the help of Netbeans, even typos can be avoided perfectly.
    As someone who uses Netbeans allow me to say:

Yeah... no.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    As someone who uses Netbeans allow me to say:

Yeah... no.
    Well I was referring to syntax errors such as missing semicolons and typos. Sure IDEs like netbeans wont be able to detect logic errors, but I guess people just have different definition for what it means to be syntax errors then?
  21. Sarcky

netbeans doesn't detect typos either. PHP variables don't need to be declared so there's no "option explicit" kind of operation where you're forced to only use the variables defined in the script. $hardware and $hardawre are both valid variable names.

23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    netbeans doesn't detect typos either. PHP variables don't need to be declared so there's no "option explicit" kind of operation where you're forced to only use the variables defined in the script. $hardware and $hardawre are both valid variable names.
    Umm thats weird, I remember in my netbeans IDE it adds a grey underline under the variable if you make a typo, saying that 'this variable seems to be unused'. When this happens, I realize I've made a typo. Sorry I am just a bit confused. XD
  25. Sarcky

While that's handy, it's not bulletproof. Don't assume you're free of typos or other so-called "dumb" errors because of netbeans. It took me 3 days to track down a bug in one of our products because we had two very similarly named functions in different files and we were all looking at the wrong one. It was a typo, but not one anything other than a human could ever find.

27. Did you steal it?

Originally Posted by Hall of Famer
    Well I was referring to syntax errors such as missing semicolons and typos. Sure IDEs like netbeans wont be able to detect logic errors, but I guess people just have different definition for what it means to be syntax errors then?
    As someone who uses Netbeans:

Yeah... Still no. But you'd think, wouldn't you?
  29. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

It's sort of a moot point, because you don't need an expert PHP developer to tell you if your application contains syntax errors anyway. You don't even need a developer. Just hire a minimum-wage worker to use the application, and if the application contains syntax errors the application will break at some point and then you can investigate it further and fix the syntax errors. Syntax errors are also trivially easy to fix compared to architectural or design issues.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo