1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to create a proof template online

Hello Everyone,

I would like to create an online page for inductive proofs. The page will be a template for the proof with empty blanks that the user should fill in with their proof. Something like this:

Property:________________________________
    | |
    |_______________________________________|
    Base Case:_______________________________
    | |
    |_______________________________________|

I want the text boxes to be equipped with mathematical symbols editor.
    Now, I am not sure how to do this. I have experience in HTML, CSS and a little of PHP. If anyone can give me ideas or tools that I can use to create this easily. Is there a software that would make this a piece of cake?
    Thanks so much!
    Nata
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

can you be more specific about what you want to do? What would a user enter into the fields? And what will happen then?

In any case: No, this won't be a piece of cake. I doubt you'll get very far with "a little PHP".

There are several math editors that will take commands as input (usually LaTeX) and render some equation. For example this one or the one I wrote. But I'm not aware of any real graphical editor that allows you to actually drag symbols around -- if that's what you want.

If you actually want to check the proof or process it in some kind, it will get really complicated. You'll have to parse the user input and pass it to some external library (or even a different language like Prolog).

So don't expect this to be a matter of throwing together some programs in a few hours. If it was that easy, I'd probably already done it myself.
    Last edited by Jacques1; November 13th, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There's no way to do that in PHP, this would be client-side functionality. You will probably need to look for a Flash or Java based solution. Even something in JavaScript probably would not suffice, because not all mathematical symbols are contained within standard font sets (particularly not the symbols you would need for non-trivial proofs).
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks everyone.

The website's purpose is just to help student follow a very specific model for writing there inductive proofs. I will have a button at the end so they can save the proof in pdf or any other format i deem useful. I want the text boxes to have a math functionality, if it is LaTex that's good but any other similar editor would do as well. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jiyda
    Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

can you be more specific about what you want to do? What would a user enter into the fields? And what will happen then?

In any case: No, this won't be a piece of cake. I doubt you'll get very far with "a little PHP".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo