1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Cutting-out face area automatically from a uploaded pic?

Hi Friends,
    I am working on developing a web platform, which needs to cut out the face area of the person from a uploaded pic. The cut out face image should be as accurate as a professional using magnetic lazzo tool on photoshop to achieve this effect.

Now my doubt is:

1. Can this be done using php? Is PHP the right technology to do implement it?

2. Please share any technique, algorithm, alternative which will help me.

Any help will be greatly useful for me. Thank you in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I'm hoping the answers no. Otherwise I'm out of a job!
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yes, it's possible to program a facial recognition algorithm. Not necessarily by you, but it's possible. Researchers at MIT have done it in JavaScript, and the functionality exists on Facebook and on certain mobile phones running Android.

Of the list Facebook, MIT, Google, and you, I'm afraid you're the odd one out. You need to hire someone to do this, especially if your requirement is an AI which is just as good as a human being.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by cafelatte
    I'm hoping the answers no. Otherwise I'm out of a job!
    Ok cafelatte, do you think replicating the magnetic lazzo tool with php is possible? So that I can ask the users to upload and cut their faces by themselves?

Probably with libraries like Imagemaick?
  9. Sarcky

What is your eventual goal here? What are you trying to accomplish with this?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Yes, it's possible to program a facial recognition algorithm. Not necessarily by you, but it's possible. Researchers at MIT have done it in JavaScript, and the functionality exists on Facebook and on certain mobile phones running Android.

Of the list Facebook, MIT, Google, and you, I'm afraid you're the odd one out. You need to hire someone to do this, especially if your requirement is an AI which is just as good as a human being.
    Can you please PM me any links painting to such research materials? Are those techniques open source, do anyone own IP for it?
  13. Sarcky

The Liuliu project does basic face detection in JS.

You still haven't answered my question.
    Last edited by ManiacDan; October 1st, 2012 at 10:42 AM.

15. No Profile Picture

What is your eventual goal here? What are you trying to accomplish with this?
    Its kind of a morph application where the cut out face image is kept as static foreground and the user can switch between different backgrounds to create the morph effect (with all legal and privacy policies in place). Since I am looking for opportunities to patent parts of this product, I am not able to reveal the underlying motive. I apologize.
  17. No Profile Picture

The does basic face detection in JS.

You still haven't answered my question.

Thank you
    I have replied now, pls check.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo