1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Nobbies beach, Gold Coast. It's beautiful.

A design question. Not sure how to make the logic!

Hi;

This is what the client wants:

Master member logs in and

1 - Creates a "Business Card Template".
    2 - Then 1000 (or more) business cards based on the templates structure. Each card created has a template id. How awesome!

So far simple right?

Now the issue comes up when they want to edit the cards structre.

They have 2 requirments that don't make sense:

1 - They want the master user to be able to modify all the cards structre that belong to a template by modifying the template. This is easy since each card has a templete_id and any changes to this template can be applied to all the cards.

2 - This one is where the problem comes up:
    They want to allow "each child user" to chage the card structure individually as well!

The probelm is that if a "child user" changes a card's structure, and after that the master user changes the master template, it will over write what the child user has done.

How can I do it then?

What they want does make sense but I can't get the logic together.
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

This is an unclear specification. There are two possibilities: As soon as somebody makes individual changes, she gets her own separate template which is no longer affected by later changes in the master template. Or the templates could be "merged" in some way (however this would look like).

Just ask the client.
  5. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Nobbies beach, Gold Coast. It's beautiful.
    Originally Posted by Jacques1
    This is an unclear specification. There are two possibilities: As soon as somebody makes individual changes, she gets her own separate template which is no longer affected by later changes in the master template. Or the templates could be "merged" in some way (however this would look like).

Just ask the client.
    They don't know! They want me to come up with a solution.

They want to be able to edit the cards as master user and as individual.

To me, it doesn't make sense.

How do you respond to them?
  7. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Since I don't know your clients, I can't tell you how to talk to them.

My personal solution would be to create a separate template on the first individual change. In the GUI, you point out that the template won't be updated if the master template changes. You should also display the master template at all times and show a warning if it has changed. In addition, the master user should be warned if some individual templates haven't been overwritten.

This lets the users decide what to do. Merging graphics is more in the rocket science and guessing area.
  9. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I agree with Jacques, I'd "break" the link from parent/child if a child is modified. All you need to do it warn the user (repeatedly!) that if they chose to edit this template it will break the link and if they go ahead then it's on them and they can't complain when the parent changes but the 'broken' child does not.
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo