1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Designing html template to display xml info

Wow, my head aches. I’ve been reading so many posts. There is a lot of great information here, but I am a bit lost in trying to find what I need. So, here is my first post.

I am working with a person that ftps their news xml file to a publisher’s location for print media. By clicking a button they can have that information also feed to a server to have their information displayed online. Thus creating a online newspaper.

Basically I want a template that displays the title in bold with teaser text below. When the title is clicked the story pulled up in that website. I would also like to separate stories in categories like general news and sports.

I have done this look before using a RSS feed importing information. The key drawback is that we do not want them leaving the site to go to a feed location.

I work primarily with HTML and feel a bit newbish asking. But there is so much talent here, I am hopig someone can point an easy direction.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

So do you want something server-side (PHP, ASP.NET, etc) or something client-side (XSLT)?

Or in other words, a template to be used where?
  5. No Profile Picture

The company supplying the information ftps the information to our server. From there I would like to place coding in the site to draw the information out.

Thanks,
    Bill

Originally Posted by requinix
    So do you want something server-side (PHP, ASP.NET, etc) or something client-side (XSLT)?

Or in other words, a template to be used where?
  7. Did you steal it?

What server-side language are you using?
    How often (a) is the information updated and (b) do you need to "draw the information out"?
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi,

My server is at GoDaddy.
    It is OS/Hosting
    Type: Linux / Shared Hosting
    Hosting Configuration: 2.0
    PHP Version: PHP 5.x
    Data Center: US Regional

My website is in HTML.

The files being FTP’d are in xml format. They sometimes do updates daily.

I am building a site for a newspaper and hopefully a radio station. The newspaper already has a framework in which they build their stories and send them to their publishing agents. They have an option to simply check a box and click submit which would also export the xtml to the server on which the website is hosted.

We can control which folder these files are put into. By drawing out, I meant that I wanted to pull the information from the xml file and be able to display it on the website.

Ideally, I like the look of the Journal Sentinal out of Milwaukee where you have a bold clickable headline with a teaser under it. When clicking the headline you then get the full story. This allows a visitor to scan and choose which stories they want to read.

Headline in Bold
    Lorem ipsum altera utamur cu sit, vidisse persecuti no vix. Per volumus voluptua no, qui veri oportere mediocritatem ad, eum assum oblique offendit in. Eum iudico option commune cu, ut movet veniam latine per.

Headline Number Two in Bold
    Lorem ipsum altera utamur cu sit, vidisse persecuti no vix. Per volumus voluptua no, qui veri oportere mediocritatem ad, eum assum oblique offendit in. Eum iudico option commune cu, ut movet veniam latine per.

I hope this explains it better,
    Bill
  11. Did you steal it?

Then this is now a PHP question. You'll write a script that opens the XML, reads the items from it, and outputs the HTML in whatever format you want.

How much PHP do you know?
  13. No Profile Picture

I'm pretty much a newb with php. I've worked mainly with html and was hoping to be able to add a html snippet to accomplish this. I've been building sites for quite awhile, but have been able to work around it till now.

I requested a sample xml file from the generator that sends it to the web site. Sorting is mainly done by date when entered to keep the newest information on top. Then it is just a matter how to display.

I do appreciate your time and help with this very much,
    Bill
  15. Did you steal it?

Right now I'll mention SimpleXML. I can help a bit more we can see the sample XML.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo