1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dev Site Vs Test Site Vs Live Site

Hi, i am close to launching a site i have been working hard on for the past while. The site is developed in PHP.

I have been developing the site on a VPS with one hosting company (A) and now i have moved the live site to a new better hosting company (B) (i won't go into why they are better)

Ok, so i was thinking of running with the following set up:

- development environment on VPS with hosting company A
    - test environment with new hosting company B
    - live site with new hosting company B

This means i have to pay 2 hosting companies quite a lot of money per month, which is not a huge problem if needed... but do you think i would be ok running with just hosting company B and running the live site beside one testing and development site...

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer on this subject, it is much appreciated...
  3. For POny!

Although I am no expert in this field, I don't see why you would use 2 hosts for this purpose.
    As far As I see it: develop locally, and run your production site on host A after you finished developing. I assume you mean with 'testing' the more end user convenience stuff to get feedback (a-b testing and so)?
    I also don't see why you can't just run several applications on the same host (you could limit it to your ip, or put it in a subdomain with a password or something). I would stick with one host and spend the money on other stuff. I don't see the added value of a second host that is already live.
    Last edited by aeternus; February 14th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by aeternus
    Although I am no expert in this field, I don't see why you would use 2 hosts for this purpose.
    As far As I see it: develop locally, and run your production site on host A after you finished developing. I assume you mean with 'testing' the more end user convenience stuff to get feedback (a-b testing and so)?
    I also don't see why you can't just run several applications on the same host (you could limit it to your ip, or put it in a subdomain with a password or something). I would stick with one host and spend the money on other stuff. I don't see the added value of a second host that is already live.
    Thanks, my only worry is that setting up SVN or GIT means i have to weaken the file permissions on the actual main server. If i want GIT to be able to write into the webfolder then the access rights must allow that.
  7. For POny!

I must confess I never worked with Git yet, but I assume the granted "extra" rights are aimed at Git and not for anyone else.
    video from Git It's also probably set up that unless you explicitly allow Git to use a new version it does nothing sneaky
    Last edited by aeternus; February 14th, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by aeternus
    I must confess I never worked with Git yet, but I assume the granted "extra" rights are aimed at Git and not for anyone else.
    video from Git It's also probably set up that unless you explicitly allow Git to use a new version it does nothing sneaky
    Thanks i will take a look at this...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Thanks, my only worry is that setting up SVN or GIT means i have to weaken the file permissions on the actual main server. If i want GIT to be able to write into the webfolder then the access rights must allow that.
    SVN and GIT are commands that you run on files, just like cp or rm. When you run a command, it runs with the permissions of your user account. If your user account has permission to edit the files, which it must if you are going to change them in any way, then SVN and GIT will be able to edit the files when you run them.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks E-Oreo, but does it mean that it will lower the permissions to the web folder so it can write files to it
  15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Neither GIT nor SVN change the permissions on files.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not on the files but the web folder...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo