1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question How do I develop a File Sharing Website, where exactly should I start?

have knowledge on HTML Basics, however I basically have no programming/web development.

I asked my friend who is an avid programmer, he told me to learn HTML and then go learn Ruby on Rails. Forums are saying learn HTML/Javascript/CSS and then move on to server side languages like Python/PHP.

I want to develop a file sharing site, where it allows users to create "hubs" and allowing users to download things from their "hub".

Can this be achieved in PHP? I know Reddit is built on Python, but I don't know the particular framework. People tell me PHP is a mess for a "noob" but is a great program with millions of extensions when the programmer becomes quite skilled.

I'm somewhat confused, do I develop in Apache/Codeigniter or do I have to develop in PHP and somehow implement my code in to a web framework.

What about Database Design, what is it and would I need it? Do I buy servers so users can upload their files or are their dedicated online web servers on which I can buy bandwidth?

I hear Python is a great program, hence it's known to be fairly easy and "noob" friendly contrary to Ruby/PHP. However, I can't justify this at all since I've never done neither.

P.S-I want this site to look really really nice, are their any really beautifully developed/designed sites that are built on PHP? Would I need to know Javascript, particularly AJAX? How would I implement AJAX into a site built on per se Apache?

Any Good Books?

P.S.S-I posted on Reddit, and they basically told me to **** off, I thought I would ask for help on a dedicated Web Developer Forum.

Someone care to give me the systematic process of developing a File Sharing Website and the Programs I need to learn?

Thanks & God Bless
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Sigh. They told you to scram because you asked a complicated question without really understanding (a) anything you're talking about or (b) the fact that it's a complicated question.

Here's your shopping list of stuff to learn:
    * PHP (you're asking in the PHP forum after all)
    * HTML
    * CSS
    * Javascript
    * AJAX (after you've bought PHP and Javascript)
    * Generic SQL
    * MySQL (optional but a good idea)
    * PHP+MySQL interaction
    * Apache
    * Apache+PHP interaction
    And the more abstract stuff:
    * Interface design (at least as it applies to web design)
    * Design patterns
    * Database normalization
    * Website security
    * Database security
    * Patience
    * Willingness to get it done right rather than done fast
    Don't forget to get yourself a team of lawyers.

For someone who has "no programming [or] web development [experience]" this will be a lot for you and take a long time to complete.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by requinix
    Sigh. They told you to scram because you asked a complicated question without really understanding (a) anything you're talking about or (b) the fact that it's a complicated question.

Here's your shopping list of stuff to learn:
    * PHP (you're asking in the PHP forum after all)
    * HTML
    * CSS
    * Javascript
    * AJAX (after you've bought PHP and Javascript)
    * Generic SQL
    * MySQL (optional but a good idea)
    * PHP+MySQL interaction
    * Apache
    * Apache+PHP interaction
    And the more abstract stuff:
    * Interface design (at least as it applies to web design)
    * Design patterns
    * Database normalization
    * Website security
    * Database security
    * Patience
    * Willingness to get it done right rather than done fast
    Don't forget to get yourself a team of lawyers.

For someone who has "no programming [or] web development [experience]" this will be a lot for you and take a long time to complete.
    Why Thank You, Sir/Mam. Really, that was very informative. I love you.

This sure is a lot to learn. I'm going to go on Amazon right now and order some books. I'll talk to my friends in the morning about this project and we can somehow discuss how to make this happen.

Is this in order from which one I should learn first?
  7. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

More or less. PHP and HTML/CSS (those two are a pair, really) could come in any order, but learning PHP practically requires you to learn HTML/CSS as you go anyways.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo