1. from the lab...
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Direction for FTP-style site

Hey folks,

here's what i'm trying to accomplish;

i'm building a site for a design and engineering company that wants to be able to upload and download CAD drawings, up to and including 100MB in size.

I figured the best way to do this, would be to create a login page for the employees, that upon logging in, would be able to upload/download files that were available (likely in a directory specific to the username or something).

Could somebody point me towards a decent tutorial or something...I've been searching for a while, but haven't found anything concrete yet.

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Off-topic

100Mb would be a heavy load for http - so why not stick with FTP. Set up FTP server on server, create FTP accounts and permissions folders using these accounts. Then the clients can upload / download files using a regular FTP client (I recommend FileZilla) or even Internet explorer. Just google "setting up an FTP server" for tons of info.
  5. from the lab...

Yeah, i figured FTP'd be the way to go...i don't run the server however, it's an external host (i work fairly close with them tho)...is setting up an FTP server on that server something i can do with php ?

thanks!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You wouldn't need PHP at all for this unless you wish to build a web based ftp front end for them. Just talk to the host and explain what you need.
  9. from the lab...

Yeah, after doing some reading I think i'll just ask him to make a subdirectory for files to be uploaded/downloaded, and a general username/password.

Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo