1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is there a drop-in user control module?

It seems like every major PHP app, like phpBB, phpGroupWare, TikiWiki needs a user control module, and of course everybody writes their own. This seems terribly wasteful, and what's worse very few of the major apps have a robust user system that includes custom groups, granular permissions and extended description fields. Interoperability is also difficult with these homebrew user solutions. My company runs phpBB, GForge and moreGroupWare and when I need to create or edit a user, I have to go to a bunch of different places.

PHP iCalendar has already been incorporated as a drop-in module in a few of these major apps like TikiWiki and moreGroupWare, so is there a similar module like this for user control? If so, why hasn't it become more universally adopted? Not every app needs a calendar, but far more apps need user control.

If no such software exists, I would be quite interested in spearheading a open-source project like this.
  3. Call of Booty

I honestly don't know of any, but I would like to help! The best project IMHO is MercuryBoard.com. Their system is more optimized than I've ever seen.
  5. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm currently in the process of building a system of this nature. I'll PM you some details.

- DrGroove
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
    The Most Important Article You Can Read as a Developer
  7. No Profile Picture

drgroove: I sent you a PM about a week ago.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo