Thread: Error in mail

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Error in mail

Hi,

I got this error in my website it is developed in php.

"Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to mail.rossprintonline.com:25 (Connection timed out) in /home/rossprin/public_html/includes/class.smtp.php on line 105"

Thanks & Regards
    Sarath_PHP
  3. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'm not sure how to reply without being sarcastic but have you actually read the error message?

It says quite clearly what the problem is and it doesn't take a genius to work out you need to figure out if your PHP/webserver can see (ping) the mail server and if it can, is port 25 open and accepting connections from the webserver?

That's not something we can do for you, I suggest you speak to the mail server administrator for help with this one.

Comments on this post

• Nilpo agrees
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by badger_fruit
    That's not something we can do for you, I suggest you speak to the mail server administrator for help with this one.
    or a linguist!
  7. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

As mentioned, the error is pretty clear.

To provide a little insight, it means one of two things: Either there is no connection between the two servers (i.e. no internet connection or firewall block) or that the mail server is dropping the connection. This is common in mail servers that do not use standard ports. The way to troubleshoot this is to ping the mail server from your server. If it works, then it's most likely on the other end. If you're able to communicate over port 25 with other servers, that also narrows it down to the mail server in question as well. On the mail server side, it means that there is no service listening on port 25 or that there is a firewall blocking communication on that port, be it software or hardware.
    Last edited by Nilpo; February 4th, 2014 at 08:46 AM.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

These days it is unusual for ISPs to allow port 25. I am betting you need to use the submission port 587 rather than the SMPT port.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Nilpo
    As mentioned, the error is pretty clear.

To provide a little insight, it means one of two things: Either there is no connection between the two servers (i.e. no internet connection or firewall block) or that the mail server is dropping the connection. This is common in mail servers that do not use standard ports. The way to troubleshoot this is to ping the mail server from your server. If it works, then it's most likely on the other end. If you're able to communicate over port 25 with other servers, that also narrows it down to the mail server in question as well. On the mail server side, it means that there is no service listening on port 25 or that there is a firewall blocking communication on that port, be it software or hardware.

Thanks
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you all

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo