1. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Faster file read and scalability

Hi All,

Let me preface that I searched the forums but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. If this has been answered already, sorry to bring it up again (I am sure my search skills are lacking).

I need to read in a tsv file and I am using 5.3. I know about str_getcsv for each individual line.

I am curious as to the method that would be fastest and would also allow for the file to grow in size while maintaining speed.

I am sure there are other ways but the two I am learning towards:

1. fopen with !feof, reading each line and processing via str_getcsv from there
    2. file reading everything into an array, looping through the array, then using str_getcsv on each loop

Once again, neither of these might be the best method, please let me know. I think the arrays (number 2) could potentially get large, slowing the process down. I just don't know how fast the two versions are compared to each other.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
    cranium
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

#1 is best since it doesn't load the entire file into memory. If this file is arbitrarily large, that's the way to do it.

Comments on this post

• cranium agrees : Thanks. That's the route I was leaning towards.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by cranium
    1. fopen with !feof, reading each line and processing via str_getcsv from there
    You can just use fgetcsv to handle the reading and parsing in one step rather than separate them out.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo