Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Northie
    This is something everyone working to develop products and services for the internet should agree with. Not just security conscious developers, but everyone in the industry including manages, owners and the work experience lad/lass making the drinks
    The only safe place in buried in a hole in the back garden, but it's not terribly useful there. :P
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

There is no perfect security in a physical world. So what? We have to deal with this fact everywhere in life. We can get robbed. We can get run over by a car. We might fall off a ladder while we're at home.

We deal with this by doing our best to reduce the risk. We've set up a legal system. We have traffic rules. We try to be careful. None of this is perfect. But it works well enough. And you're free to take further action and reduce the risk even more.

Why don't we simply apply the same pragmatic approach to software? Do everything you can (like using a strong hash algorithm) and encourage your users to do everything they can (like choosing a strong password). Then you'll be secure enough -- maybe more secure than you are when you get up in the morning and leave the house.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by BarryG
    I have specifically requested my bank NOT to grant internet access to my account. If it gets hacked, it is then THEIR fault, not mine.

ANYTHING exposed on the internet is ultimately crackable, given enough time and willpower.

Why should I be required to ensure that my PC is secure enough to access their system. The bank, not the customer, should supply secure access.

Call me a luddite. At I won't lose my hard earned.

It's a minor inconvenience with not internet banking, but you don't miss what you've never had.
    I am pretty sure your money is insured and even if it is stolen you WILL get your money back.
  7. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    no.
    Jacques1, are you confident enough to make a secure bank website? Or there are things you are not sure about web.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by English Breakfast Tea
    even if it is stolen you WILL get your money back.
    Not necessarily. If they deem your insecure PC leaked the details that let your account be accessed then you are SOL.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo