Thread: Functions

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is it possible to install new functions without reinstalling PHP,on a unix system?
  3. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeyt_333:
    Is it possible to install new functions without reinstalling PHP,on a unix system?[/quote]

Is it possible to install new functions without reinstalling PHP,on a unix system?

If you want to create a script function and add it to a script, you can do so. You can also create a functions.php scripts,(call it whatever) and explicitly require the file (with path name) or implicitly call it by name with a require by putting it in the same directory as PHP's root folder.

Adding classes may be a little different. But think of PHP this way. You recompile the script code each time you run it. So any new functions or classes you add get rebuilt or reparsed (to use a more appropriate term) each iteration. Any syntax errors wills immediately cause parse errors upon execution of the script from a browser window.

Hope that helps.
  5. No Profile Picture

When I say functions, I am referring to the functions that come with PHP. My hosting company didn't install the majority of the functions for PHP. What I would like to do is install all the functions available without re-installing PHP because I am not familiar enough with unix, or apache to be messing with the install stuff. I am on a dedicated server so I have root access, but I don't want to cause my apache to stop functioning.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What do you mean "did not install all the functions"?? Which ones are missing/what's not working.

To answer your question - no, I guess - but this shouldn't be happening. You can't install a half or a quarter of php - it's pretty much the basic stuff and then some extras, but the basic stuff should include all the major functions...

Please elaborate on your situation...
  9. No Profile Picture

The first function that comes to mind is the "odbc_connect" function is not there. This is an example, I am also unable to use the "foreach()" command. There are more but none are coming to mind right now.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Viper_SB
    What version of PHP do you have installed? The foreach() function only works in PHP 4 and higher.

------------------
    Viper_SB