1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ways of getting information about the user's browser and computer?

Hello everyone,
    What are some methods of getting information about the visitor's browser and/or computer (in any web coding language)?
    I know a few like getting the user agent and headers, but is there anything else?

Let's say I spoof my web browser's user agent to an iPhone's user agent. Is there any way for a website to detect the web browser I'm really using, or is spoofing the user agent enough to trick a website into believing that I'm using an iPhone to view their site?
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The user-agent string and JavaScript capabilities (like what variables and functions are present) are basically the only two ways to detect the browser.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by 2k8bomb
    Hello everyone,
    What are some methods of getting information about the visitor's browser and/or computer (in any web coding language)?
    I know a few like getting the user agent and headers, but is there anything else?

Let's say I spoof my web browser's user agent to an iPhone's user agent. Is there any way for a website to detect the web browser I'm really using, or is spoofing the user agent enough to trick a website into believing that I'm using an iPhone to view their site?
    You can also use '@media only screen' in css to help control content based on display size. For example, i have a couple of pages that i've built that hide or display menus or menu items based on IOS or table screen size.

Comments on this post

• requinix agrees : that too

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo