1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help me choose a language for a project

So I've been coding in PHP for about 6 years, and Python for about one. I learned python because I signed on at a company as a web developer and they said I'd only need HTML/CSS/JavaScript but than all their tech ran on Python.

But to be honest I'm a mediocre programmer who can code okay in alot of languages but cant code exceptionally in any.

Tired of being well rounded, and I want some insight into what language would be best to "master". I have lots of free time, and I want to spend a few hours a day for all of 2014 trying to get really good at a single language. By building projects etc and reading books on it.

I'm looking for the most salable, and worthwhile languages.

Whats easiest to get a job with? What is the most versatile? What is the most powerful?

I've been looking into PHP, Python or C# for this project of mine, but wanted some input from more experienced programmers.

Thanks!

p.s. I am trying to get a job at a big tech company like Amazon, Google, or a gaming company like Blizzard. I am half a year away from completing MIS degree, I have a comp sci minor too.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm looking for the most salable, and worthwhile languages.
    You only need to master one of the languages well. Big salaries exists in most of them.

PHP is widespread in web-sites and simple web-applications, while Java is used for web-applications too (I think Google+ is written in it), but its main niche is enterprise scale web-applications. C# is similar. Python is something between Java and PHP, though there are bit less positions you can find at once - it is all right to learn Python.

Salary depends firstly on your skills and secondly on the language... except some ridiculous and archaic languages of course.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo