1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[need help] Coldfusion to bbpress broke thousands of links

Hello,

I had my website custom build on Coldfusion and then when I transferred it to bbpress I lost almost a million forum posts and now have about 7,000 broken links on my website.

Does anyone know how I can recover the broken links or what I should do? I am thinking about switching to vBulletin or phpBB.

Not sure if I am allowed to link my url, but my website is called Regrowth. If anyone can check it out and make any suggestions I would be very grateful.

I'm going to be looking to hire someone to help me make these fixes since I'm not a programmer or developer of any kind.

Thank you!
    Josh
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

A massive underlying code migration is bound to break some things.

Find out the format of the broken links. Compare them to the format of the correct links for the content being requested. Then either:
    1) Crawl your database and manually rewrite the bad links
    2) Create a mod_rewrite replacement script that changes the one into the other
    3) Set your 404 page to recognize the bad links and header() to the right ones.

The above list was presented in the order of which I recommend them. #1 is the best way, #3 is the worst.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture

ManiacDan, thank you very much for your quick response.

I appreciate it.

I just have one question, would you suggest we make these fixes before doing another migration to, for example, vBulletin?

Or should we make the migration first, see what happens, and then make fixes/changes from there?

That's one big doubt we also have.

Thank you in advance!
    Josh
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

No, go to your final location and then adapt to that. There's no reason to migrate fully from coldfusion to bbpress only to migrate from bbpress to vbulletin or whatever. Decide on something and stick with it.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

That's what I was leaning towards as well. My team and I was just divided between the two.

Please note, the migration to bbpress was done almost 10 years ago. I just left the site alone for a while because I decided to focus on other things because of the overwhelming amount of damage that the migration caused.

That's why I'm thinking about making another migration now to a more robust and capable location that will allow me to scale better.

Thank you!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo