1. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm trying to get PHP4 to work at home. Do I have to delete everyting concerning php3?

I tried following the directions givin in the readme for PHP4, but they didn't seem to work. If I try to use a php4 only function or phpinfo(); it still gives me php3 information.

I unzipped php4 to windows/system/php4/. I copied the two .dll files to windows/system. One of them was already there and being used by windows. I used Regedit to add the new key for .php? I placed php.ini into windows/ directory.

Am I missing something here? That's all the readme said to do. My directories are already set up to execute scripts.

maybe i should just get apache....

thanks for any help.

[This message has been edited by SepodatiCreations (edited May 26, 2000).]
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I tried several times to get PHP installed on my Win 98 machine, then gave up. I then installed it at work on Win NT with no problem. Return to my Win 98 machine tonight, I installed it with no problem. The new version is easier to install than ever. Make sure to place the php.ini-dist file in you Windows directory, rename it php.ini, and edit the extension_dir to match the location of you php files and dlls(mine was c:/php). After doing this, edit your registry according to the instructions in the PHP documentation at php.net. It is relatively straightforward, just follow the instructions to the T. You are almost there. The easiest way to configure your web server is to use OmniHTTP, downloadable from tucows.com. The documention for PHP even includes specific instructions for OmniHTTP and it is really an excellent program for a personal web server. Setting up Omni involves editing a few features on the administration page to recognize your php files. This is really all that you should need to do. Hope this helps. I had a previous copy of PHP and I just moved that folder to another location to make room for the new version, but saving it in case I needed it. Note that the new version of PHP does not require any special dll or configuration for mysql, which threw me for a loop since the previous version required that the extension get uncommented in the php.ini file. Good luck.

------------------