Thread: Help with mysql

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have a form (like this one im typing in now) that lets users submit info into the database. I want it to let them submit apostrophes and other characters that mysql converts, or php converts before putting them in the database. It makes it print out like /'. How can i make it just accept and apostrophe, and print it out normally when i call it from the database. If this is confusing say so, ill show you an example.
    Thanks

Sam
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just made a form for a database earlier today and tested it with all kinds of data - semicolons, mysl statements, echo statements... no problems when I pulled that data back out and put it on the screem. It should be said that the data type was VARCHAR for all the example feilds.

If I am missing something orgiving incorrect information, please clarify.

- Mike
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

try out my script at: http://www.rpgswap.com/sell.php

user/pass : sam/petulla

when you submit an auction with an apostrophe or quotes... it puts a in front of it. I dont know why! its killing me!

------------------
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

the more i test it the more screwed up it is. If i use a " in the description or title field, then the inserted value stops right before the ". So if i isert hello "sam". then it only inserts hello into the database. And of course there is the apostrohpe problem. AHHHH. help!!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think this is a php problem. When php passes the variable from the first form to the second page, it is adding the ', so its not mySQL. Any ideas? Please help
  11. No Profile Picture
    RyanP
    when using any variables, that can be user defined, in a query, i typically just escape all non-letter/number/whitespace characters with<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">code:</font><HR><pre>$var = preg_replace("/[^ws]/", "", $var);[/code]
  13. No Profile Picture

PHP has a special function for this problem. htmlspecialchars() works in php3 and php4 by converting problematic signs such as &, " and ' to its ascii code equivalent. Thus & becomes &amp. But your users won't know the difference. For more info, see http://www.php.net/manual/function.htmlspecialchars.php

------------------
    Aristotle concluded that those who admit their stupidity are truly wise.
    -
    Gil Hildebrand Jr
    4atcost.com Senior Web Developer
  15. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You probably have PHP configured with 'magic_quotes_gpc = On', but with 'magic_quotes_runtime = Off' in php.ini (usually at /usr/local/lib).

'magic_quotes_gpc' means PHP automatically escapes single or double quotes received from a GET, POST, or a cookie, which is why your database receives these values with the backslash in front of them. This is necessary, or your database would make a mess of your posted data.

Try turning on 'magic_quotes_runtime' (for runtime-generated data), or use the function stripslashes() on your database-generated text.