1. No Profile Picture
    ads
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    I am looking for some help in passing variable from flash to php & back from php to flash.
    Any help will be appreciated
  3. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    Flash itself is a static object, you can't pass variable from or to it. However, there is a high cost Macromedia product called "Generator" which make flash no longer a static object. Go to macromedia website and find out what "Generator" really can do. Keep in mind, the cheapest edition costs $999.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    Sorry, freebsd, you are incorrect. I don't remember the function but you can load data into a flash file. It will also pass all current level variables via a post method to the PHP file. To return data you use print to print a query string which is read by Flash. I'm doing this quite nicely for a commercial site that wants to use Flash as the front end but needs database support. Someone else is doing the Flash so I can't tell you much there. I'm not a Flash person.
  7. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, a form can be created using flash, it can pass form variables to php, so does the reverse way.
    I was thinking of creating a flash object "on-the-fly".

>>site that wants to use Flash as the front end but needs database support

So are you saying a flash object can accept data like the current date and re-generate itself including the current date on-the-fly?

I don't use Generator myself. Sombody told me that's the only way to create dynamic flash. Based on its high cost, I thought there were no alternatives for such task.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have experience with generator and flash. I'm not a fan of generator although it has some great possiblities. If you're not up for the cost of generator, go to flashgen or moock.org and check out their tutorials covering asp and flash... just substitute php in place of asp.

One thing that I have done is use flash to post to a php page that processes the input. Then the php page generates a text file that the flash movie then reads using loadvariables. What I'm trying to say is that it is possible for you to use flash like a typical html form.

Ulysses Ludwig
    ujludwig@yahoo.com

11. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    Not exactly. But you can use the variables passed to flash to control the movie and text that appears in the movie. For instance, flash will display a form to login, then passes the name/password combo to PHP for validation against mysql. Flash loops on the current frame until eof=true which is the last pair of the query string PHP returns. PHP validates and returns a true/false on login and user data if successful. The Flash movie branches based upon the true/false of success. etc. etc.