1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help: New to Web Development

I am self studying to learn web development. I am and Oracle DBA and this is a project that I want to make a?
    hobby and really become really good at. I need to know if html/css/php and mysql is enough to get started as far as learning. This is what I'm studying now. What else should I be learning I need advice on what paths should I take to study. I am the type when I put my mind to it, I get it done, so its just a matter of knowing what should I study. I can't find anyone to give me a straight answer besides go to school for it. I don't mind doing this self study on my on, I know it can be done, I just don't know where to start please help. Thanks in advance

I am trying to build a web application and customer management website with user profiles, I forgot to mention.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Start with PHP. You already know a database, learn how PHP can leverage databases to print data, do analysis, combine results, make a way to really browse/visualize the data.

While you do that, learn the basics of HTML and CSS. you'll pick them up as you need them, like "how do I make a table" or "how do I make a floating div." Read/skim a beginner's HTML/CSS book and you should get an idea of what your options are.

What you didn't mention was JavaScript. Most of the web (save devshed and other sites like it) makes extensive use of JS, to the point where some sites (facebook, gawker, etc.) only have one URL, and the rest is javascript and ajax. Learn javascript, jquery, and ajax.

There's an O'Reilly book which covers MySQL, PHP, and JS. I recommend it, especially for someone already pretty well versed in terminology and tech.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

you forgot JavaScript on your list. But apart from that, yeah, those are some basic tools.

Note, however, that there's not only PHP and MySQL. It might be a good idea to first have a look at different languages/systems and then choose the one you like best. Since you're used to the features and strictness of Oracle DB, have a look at PostgreSQL. For server-side languages, check out Ruby, Python and Perl.

I'm not saying that PHP/MySQL is a bad combination. But it seems to me that many people just go with it because it pop ups first when you google for "web development" -- rather than actually choosing the right tool for the job and their personal preferences.

Personally, I'd buy some good books and start reading and trying out things. There are also some good online tutorials, but be very careful with stuff you find on the Internet -- especiall when you're using PHP. A lot of those "tutorials" are horrible, written by clueless copypasters 10 years ago and never updated since. PHP suffers massively from sites like w3schools, which teach people unsecure, outdated nonsense.

I'd always advise you to not start with your project too early. Play around with smaller websites and projects for a while. The first scripts you'll write will be garbage, so it's good when you can just throw them away and not have them in some big system.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Will definately add Javascript, ajax, and the others mentioned to the list. This might be a crazy question, but I'm so used to seeing PHP and MySQL, I thought they went hand and hand, so are you all saying I can use an Oracle DB instead, because if I can, thats what I will do? What's wrong with PHP and are there other programming languages that are better? Please enlighten me and thanks you guys
  9. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

You can use any language and any database system you want. If you wanna keep Oracle DB, do it. There's no reason to switch to MySQL (and personally, I wouldn't recommend it).

Apart from PHP, there's -- for example -- Ruby, Python and Perl. Each language has specific properties, strengths and weaknesses, so test them for a while and see which one you like best.

If you come to the conclusion that PHP + MySQL is the dream team, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. All I'm saying is that there are alternatives and that you should actively choose your language. PHP + MySQL is one way of writing dynamic websites. Just like the Internet Explorer is one browser you can use. But when Microsoft tells you that the IE is the only browser, they're wrong --there's also Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, you name it.

Choose the browser, um, programming language that fits your personal preferences and requirements (as far as you can evaluate that).

Comments on this post

• E-Oreo agrees
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo