1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Imdb title generation

Hi,

I want to know how to create a title links like imdb title, below mentioning some links

here each link specifics some movie, i want to know how they generating links like (tt0903624, tt0790724, tt1853728) this. This idea seems to be great, i have searched for days but i didn't get any solutions, please help me out.

Thanks,
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? TT is their indication that it's a movie title (like how all actor pages start with NM) and then the number is the database ID of that title.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? TT is their indication that it's a movie title (like how all actor pages start with NM) and then the number is the database ID of that title.
    I want to know, how they are generating these pages, its not possible to create separate pages for every movies.

For example:
    Normally a pages look like this
    title/index.php?title=tt0903624

But in Imdb its like this
    title/tt0903624/
  7. Sarcky

They're using mod_rewrite (or some equivalent) to rewrite their URLs into variables which their web app can use to fetch the proper data and print it in the right format.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

They're using mod_rewrite (or some equivalent) to rewrite their URLs into variables which their web app can use to fetch the proper data and print it in the right format.
    Thanks so far,

is there any relevant function related to mod_rewrite, do you have any examples related to this concept.

Its because i'm bit confused, i can't able to find whether its php, jsp or asp.

Thanks once again.
  11. Sarcky

mod_rewrite is an apache module. The manual is online. It works at the webserver level directly.

13. No Profile Picture

mod_rewrite is an apache module. The manual is online. It works at the webserver level directly.
    Thank you...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo