1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to implement this website login/user profile/social network connection strategy?

I am building a website.

Anyway, using any technologies, how do I implement the following strategy?

****Case 1: User not logged in / new visitor:****

- Allow user to log in using a social network profile like Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, or Twitter

- In the case of using a social network to log on, the website should also create a profile for the user and associate their social network login with the profile, so the user can save settings on my website

- User can alternatively create a profile using the old method of providing a username / profile

****Case 2: user is logged into the website****

- Allow a user to "connect" his profile on my website to a social network, if it already hasn't been connected (like from the initial profile creation using a social network above ^^^ or already connected from before)

- Once a social network has been connected, it should import the users "Friend list" or people in his "Circle" into his profile, so that he can use his list of friends on the website

---

At my disposal I have Google+ API , the Facebook API, linkedIn api, etc...

What would be the best way of achieving the above login mechanism??

Many thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

As an example of what I want to do, see this website:

Numbers Clash

It lets you login/create a profile using a social network site, and then in the profile page it lets you "connect" to more social network sites.

I want to do this, and in the profile page it should display all of the "friends" from the social network site.

How do I do this? Preferably using an already existing library based on Node.js or AngluarlJS or something like Passport.JS
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by andreizilla
    How do I do this?
    The big social networks (FB and Twitter at least) have API's that you can use to do all of this, and more. There's some libraries out there if you don't want to do it all yourself, but if it was me I'd want to do it so I knew what happened if anything goes wrong in the future (FB in particular has a reputation for changing their API's from time to time...).

As for how to integrate this into your own system, that's up to you to figure out, only because we don't know how it does/will work, so it's pretty hard to give good examples for something that's not available yet.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

just search for social login integrations and you will get lots of examples..

it is true that FB change their API so be sure to test it daily/weekly depending on how huge/busy your site is

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo