Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The biggest question on my mind after recieveing Core PHP Programming in the mail is weather to intall PHP on to my Win98 box. Also I see that it requires a server to do so...I have Apache, Xitami, and Personal Websever locally to choose from(none installed)....which one of those should I use???

Im new to web scripting and dont know much. I know about HTML though

SO any help would be helpful

Ryan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Well, I recently managed to get PHP3, Xitami, and MySQL running on a Win95 box. It was pretty straghtforward--but the webserver itself was excruciatingly slow. All this is much more efficient (and fun) in Linux or Unix.

I will try the same with Microsoft PWS, then with Apache for Windows, and let you know which is smoothest.

PHP is the most straightforward server-side scripting language I have seen yet, so I heartily recommend picking it up. I do all my hosting on Unix, but I have to do some IE5 website development on my Win95 laptop, so I need PHP on Windows
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Apache 1.3.12 and OmniHTTPD are both good. If you're not a networker, webadmin, use OmniHTTPD, it is shipped with PHP3, its free. If you want the server to be more customizable, then use Apache. I like apache more, it just *seems* faster.
  7. No Profile Picture

All I wanna do is beable to run PHP on my system ...no services or nothin...just test scupts...so do I need a sever installed??

Thanks for the speedy replies,
    Ryan
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yep, you still need a server. My
    recommendation is Apache.

Scott
  11. No Profile Picture

argg...Im gonna put a bullet through my machine one of these days....
    I tried to install apache but when I try to run apache.exe tha dos promt window pos up for a split second then disappears....help!
    ANyone know a fix for this

Ryan

PS It does this in all my dos progs
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe you don't have enough environment memory available. Go in explorer, right click on the PHP executable, and set the dos properties for more memory.

------------------
    PHP, Perl, SQL Programming at http://www.mentalobjects.com
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,
    You do not necessarily have to own apache or some other web server. Just go to this web site: www.soysal.com/PHPEd/ and download PHPEd which is both a very good code-coloring editor and debugger (let's you test the script by pressing F5). It is quite buggy though, but I hope the author has fixed some bugs he had in the previous version.
    As far as Apache and PHP on Win32, it's quite easy. If you want, I can send you two configuration scripts (actually, they are just modified versions of php3.ini - in case you have php3, and httpd.conf for Apache. There are some tutorials about this on the net, but I don't remember where I read them.
    That box which appears if you run Apache for the first time - was the same with me.
    One more thing - if you have Win95, you need new winsock2 library available from Microsoft.
    For site generation on Win98, I use URL2File, I can also send it to you next time.
    Bye to everyone,
    Stas
  17. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by esconsult:
    Maybe you don't have enough environment memory available. Go in explorer, right click on the PHP executable, and set the dos properties for more memory.

[/quote]

Ok...I havne't tried to install PHP yet just Apache Webserver. I tried rightclicking on my apache.exe dos file but there ware no options in the properties for memery. ASO I right click on msdos.exe and found the memory settings there is a bunch of em which one should I use?

THanks,
    Ryan
  19. No Profile Picture

okhvatstas could you send me the configfiles maybe thats my problem...thanks

Ryan

[This message has been edited by Ryan (edited May 13, 2000).]
  21. No Profile Picture

the reason apache "disappears" when starting it, is most probable the cause that it can't bind to an interface, or the servername is not set

IOW : RTFM

in a dos-box (prompt)
    try to run Apache.exe -s

and you'll see what's wrong....
  23. No Profile Picture

Ok...Im batting 0 today. I typed IOW : RTMF into a dos-prompt and it gave me a "Bad Command or File Name"

Am I suppose to type into the apache promt...if so I cant it dissappears as soon as it asppears.
    thanks
    RYan
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ryan, I can't find your e-mail address anywhere, please send me a letter to stanis@sibfair.nsk.su, I'll send you the config files along with the Apache Manager prog (about 20 kb) that I use to start and close Apache.
    Stas
  27. No Profile Picture

Ok....Im doing it the bullet is going right through the Pentium CHip!!!

I got Apache Runnin but when I type in http://localhost or <A HREF="http://"my" TARGET=_blank>http://"my</A> ip here" it gives me a 404 error. Arrg

Stas I got your files thanks.

Any suggestions???

help,
    Ryan
  29. No Profile Picture
    Dave Bryant
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ryan:
    The biggest question on my mind after recieveing Core PHP Programming in the mail is weather to intall PHP on to my Win98 box. Also I see that it requires a server to do so...I have Apache, Xitami, and Personal Websever locally to choose from(none installed)....which one of those should I use???

Im new to web scripting and dont know much. I know about HTML though

SO any help would be helpful

Ryan
    [/quote]

Go with Apache, PHP4RC2, and MySQL, its all Free, and you won't regret the experience of learning to setup a total solutions from scratch. It really is stable, and With Zend's optimizer it's fast and slick. I'm very happy about having done this and can't think of why noone has released binaries for Linux distributions. Apache compiles with DSO support now, so getting it to work with PHP and MySQL is so much easier. As always, use the latest source of everything. If you're new to linux, I'd say go with Redhat, package manager will get you up and running with out much hassle.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: