1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Nobbies beach, Gold Coast. It's beautiful.

Installing / Server / Applications / Frameworks / ...

Hi;

I appreciate a quick description on this:

1 - As far as I know there are several ways to instal "things" on server. Things could be frameworks, aps or other things. Can someone please explain what the "things" could be? Applications? Compilers? Servers? ...

2 - A php framework for example. I am aware in some cases its possible to just download (Code Igniter for example), unzip a service and everything automatically works. All needs to be done is to go to the right path. I assume they call this "the installer file", right? If not correct me.

3 - In some cases, Zend Framework for example, they provide a link like
    Code:
    php composer.phar create-project --repository-url="https://packages.zendframework.com" -s dev zendframework/skeleton-application path/to/install
    . Why is that? Is it the same as download to localhost, unzip, upload to server and run? Or in this case it HAS to be done online?

4 - Is there a "download and instal on-line" command for every application (or service?) like this? Which one is proper? Download and instal? Or instal from a server? It appears that knowing Linux and Apache is very important for any web programmer.

5 - Related to number 1, what do you call ftp service on server? I see searches like instal ftp server on Ubuntu. Does this mean instal ftp application (or service) on Ubuntu server?

A little bit of info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by English Breakfast Tea
    1 - As far as I know there are several ways to instal "things" on server. Things could be frameworks, aps or other things. Can someone please explain what the "things" could be? Applications? Compilers? Servers? ...
    That's like asking what "things" I have in my house. I have lots of things. Many things qualify as things.

If it runs on the server then it's a "thing".

2 - A php framework for example. I am aware in some cases its possible to just download (Code Igniter for example), unzip a service and everything automatically works. All needs to be done is to go to the right path. I assume they call this "the installer file", right? If not correct me.
    They can call it whatever they want. If you need to run it to get your thing set up right then sure, "installer" is an appropriate term. More often than not those are merely configuration utilities - an "installer" tends to be something more wizard-y and automated (like a shell script you run).

3 - In some cases, Zend Framework for example, they provide a link like
    Code:
    php composer.phar create-project --repository-url="https://packages.zendframework.com" -s dev zendframework/skeleton-application path/to/install
    . Why is that? Is it the same as download to localhost, unzip, upload to server and run? Or in this case it HAS to be done online?
    That's Composer, the current PHP package management fad.

4 - Is there a "download and instal on-line" command for every application (or service?) like this? Which one is proper? Download and instal? Or instal from a server? It appears that knowing Linux and Apache is very important for any web programmer.
    Not all the things in my house have instructions printed on the side. Not all of them are spray bottles. Not all of them require unfolding to use. Not all of them have buttons to turn on.

You're asking for a simple straightfoward answer to a question that doesn't even make sense.

5 - Related to number 1, what do you call ftp service on server? I see searches like instal ftp server on Ubuntu. Does this mean instal ftp application (or service) on Ubuntu server?
    ubuntu ftp server
  5. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

If you're 'buying' an online server, like a web server then it will more than likely come with an operating sysyetm and some software pre-installed on the OS to make life a little easier.

Depeding on who you buy this from you'll get a choice of OS, version, CPU/HDD/RAM options etc.

If we take Linux as a probable route then different flavours have different ways of doing things. Most, if not all will have a 'package manager' for installing and updating server applications (eg apache, nginx, php, mysql, zip, unzip etc). Redhat and CentOS use 'Yum' and ubuntu uses 'apt'

At the command line you might then get

# yum install php

or

#apt-get install mysql

Once applications are installed, you can start using them.

You can use wget to download stuff, unzip to unzip stuff and so on.

Things like composer, zend, symfony etc are wrapped up in PHP is some crazy way I don't understand. There's pecl, pear and phar.... I think all are command line utilities and some combination of these will install most php-based 'web applications'

Almost everything has it's own way of doing things, and (while working on a server) all will be done on the command line. For each thing you want, read the installation instructions you find. If you can't find instructions and don't know what to do with it then maybe you should leave it alone.

Now lets take the case of things that you just unzip, upload and run in a web browser (eg Wordpress, MODx, Opencart, Magento)...these were developed by the developers on a system using a framework that had to be installed This is especially true of Magento which is based on Zend - i don't have to install zend to make it work, but the developers will have had to to develop it - they then wrap up what they need and a web-based install wizard and ship it

Things any clearer?
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

In rarer cases of custom installs you may need to edit the web server configuration files (e.g., httpd/conf/httpd.conf. Also, you might need to edit /etc/php.ini.

Be sure to restart the web server after making configuration changes. If something goes wrong during the restart, it will be noted in the web server's log file (e.g., /var/log/httpd/*).

Finally, if you do not have access to the web server configuration, you may be able to configure the use of PHP locally - for example set which type of files to look for PHP code in. For example, in Apache web servers you can place a .htaccess file in the local directory to instruct the web server to parse PHP code in a set of file types:

Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml .html .htm

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo