1. No Profile Picture
    cisk
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    I'm basically installing linux so that i can set it up as a webserver later on with PHP and MySQL after i learn a little bit of it. Well i got linux from my friend and he said it was version 6.0 of REDHAT. When i was installing it it said "Do you wish to install/upgrade from a machine containing Linux 2.0" or something like that. Somne else told me that has nothing to do with the release version of redhat. But that sounds weird to me.

"uname -a" produced linux 2.2.5-15 #1. Did i get the older linux? The x-windows thing doesn't look liek some of the snapshots on linux.com

thanks iadvance!

Cisk
  3. No Profile Picture
    jpenix
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    RedHat always asks about upgrading a previous version. Your 'uname -a' report is correct for v6.0 of RedHat Linux. (Says you have the 2.2 Kernel which is the latest, although the .5 release is a little old - no matter, RedHat included it because they felt it was stable).

One reason your desktop may look different: RedHat comes with two window managers that look completely different - Gnome and KDE. Left alone, the install will default to Gnome. Perhaps you've seen KDE screenshots. Looking at Linux.com, I see some very highly customized versions of both KDE and Gnome. Let's just say those are what your RedHat COULD look like.

Also note that RedHat 6.1 did come out a couple weeks ago. You're fine sticking with 6.0 to get your feet wet, and once you get your hands on a 6.1 CD, you can pop it in and do a smooth upgrade without losing any of your work.

Good luck with Linux! You're going to love it as your PHP platform...