Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Joomla: Yes or No?

I apologize if this seems like a silly question...

But is Joomla worth using?

I have read it works great with PHP sites, but I'm wondering if it has any real value.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It depends on what you want to do. Do the Joomla components meet your needs? If so, it is fine. Do you want to make something more custom? Then, Joomla might bring too much overhead. Are you more interested in learning PHP? Then on one hand, Joomla is good because you can see how they do things, but on the other hand, it is bad because you spend more time learning Joomla methods and you might lose sight of what is happening.

PS. Joomla is just a bunch of PHP script along with some JavaScript and CSS.
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Joomla, as Notion mentioned, is a PHP website. There's no "works good with," it is one.

I personally don't like joomla and would rather use wordpress, but it's a personal opinion (plus some high-level security concerns you probably don't care about).
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture

Joomla is a wonderful CMS with great value if you know how to fine -tune it. It has been used to create quality websites. I also used it to create my SMS site.
  9. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I don't like joomla
    I like wordpress even less
    I like drupal less than wordpress

I like MODx, primarily because it implements the CMS features in a very similar way to how I was going about doing so when I discovered it.

The installation of modx is as simple as WP
    MODx seems sparse when you install it - no template, no sidebars, no navigation modules, no plugins, not even a rich text editor but with the package manager you can, within 5 minutes:

install wayfinder - builds menus & navigation
    install tinymce - a rich text editor
    install codemirror - for syntax highlighting your html templates and chunks
    install google sitemaps plugin
    install versionX - keep complete version history of all your changes
    install migx - a plugin which allows you to group together variables and have unlimited multiple instances of them on a page
    install articles - full featured blog, with a sample template

MODx works by putting HTML at the top of the view controls. A URL identifies a page. A page has a template and a template has some "template variables" (eg page title, content and any number of custom ones you define).

A template can then broken down into "chunks" of HTML and "snippets" of raw php (that you're free to code up yourself). Any mix, any level of nesting you like.

And that's just the basics.

Here's my favourite graph of all time:

Can you guess which CMS I'm suggesting? They even have a hosted option with free 15 day free trial (you basically get a VPS with a default install of MODx on it)
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Personally, I dislike WordPress, and I dislike Joomla even more, and I dislike Drupal most.

I like WordPress enough that I still consider using it for certain projects - but only projects that are either blogs or simple static content sites. WordPress suffers from serious and fundamental architecture and performance problems, and some parts of its UI are ***-backwards (file uploading). Using it for anything beyond simple content sites is a costly mistake in most cases.

Joomla I have not worked with that much, however, from what I've seen it is basically like WordPress with a better architecture, a worse UI and a more complicated plugin architecture.

Drupal is just a straight-up mess in pretty much every way.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. Sarcky

I have a "wordpress guy" on my staff, so I just make him do it. He says wordpress is the least awful, and I trust him.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  15. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    He says wordpress is the least awful, and I trust him.
    At least he recognises it as being in some way awful. Maybe show him MODx?

I really do not want to get into a CMS fkame war snd I have complete respect for your judgements and everyone is individual.

Our stance is that we don't employ people who like Wordpress or think that is good- it really is that bad, and to think otherwise is, well, IMHO, a huge limitation.

There're huge problems in MODx too, especially from a client / usability perspective ( but a dream for developers!). The ultimate CMS does not exist and we don't have the resources to roll our own but MODx fits our bill as close as
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I really like best what I know. It works pretty well, and is definitely better than Joomla and Wordpress. MODx, I don't know but maybe it is better than what I know?
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by NotionCommotion
    It depends on what you want to do. Do the Joomla components meet your needs? If so, it is fine. Do you want to make something more custom? Then, Joomla might bring too much overhead. Are you more interested in learning PHP? Then on one hand, Joomla is good because you can see how they do things, but on the other hand, it is bad because you spend more time learning Joomla methods and you might lose sight of what is happening.

PS. Joomla is just a bunch of PHP script along with some JavaScript and CSS.
    Yes, you are right
  21. No Profile Picture

i think word press and magneto are more popular
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    only projects that are either blogs or simple static content sites.
    That's what they are out there for.

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    WordPress suffers from serious and fundamental architecture and performance problems
    Such as?

That alone doesn't say much.

If these problems were so "fundamental and serious" as you state they are I seriously doubt wordpress would be as popular as it is today.

When I need a standard website up and running in the shortest possible time Joomla and Wordpress are perfectly fine for me.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

I think joomla wesite design is best, I recently built a website with Wordpress, but I think I'll not use it again. Joomla offers more feature me and made my website more professional.
  27. Sarcky

If these problems were so "fundamental and serious" as you state they are I seriously doubt wordpress would be as popular as it is today.
    Microsoft Windows is the most popular operating system in the world. It has fundamental and serious problems. People use it, like Wordpress, because they're familiar with it and because nobody has ever been fired for choosing an "industry standard."

As you can see from this discussion, everyone has very strong opinions on CMS, and everyone has their own list of what is worst and what is best, and nobody agrees. Just pick one, they're all equally awful.

Except maybe ModX, I haven't used it.

29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Microsoft Windows is the most popular operating system in the world. It has fundamental and serious problems. People use it, like Wordpress, because they're familiar with it and because nobody has ever been fired for choosing an "industry standard."

As you can see from this discussion, everyone has very strong opinions on CMS, and everyone has their own list of what is worst and what is best, and nobody agrees. Just pick one, they're all equally awful.

Except maybe ModX, I haven't used it.
    I don't remember getting XP or an IPhone because of their fundamental and serious problems or because I was already familiar with them or because I was afraid of getting fired. LOL by me.

Perhaps I did because they were good.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo