1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Should I use Laravel Now?

When I had started this : http://forums.devshed.com/php-development-5/taking-up-a-big-php-project-suggestions-please-950319.html
    I didn't know how to use any framework. Now, I started learning laravel and I'm becoming good at it day by day. I've finished a bit of the project. I have just made all the twig templates(which can easily be converted to blade templates)
    So, I'd like to ask, should I keep using the old set of tools to complete the project?
    Or should I switch to Laravel?
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Since we neither know the exact project nor the status of it nor the current code, how are we supposed to evaluate the possible benefits of restarting everything with Laravel?

If you've already implemented 60% of the project with good, solid code, then obviously it wouldn't make a lot of sense to throw it all away and start over. If you're at 10%, and your code isn't the best, then it may indeed make sense to switch to Laravel. We can't tell.

What I generally recommend is to not start a huge project while you're still at an early stage of learning and don't have a solid understanding of tools and architecture yet. You'll get into the current situation again and again. Even if you switch to Laravel, I'm sure you'll later find out that there are other weaknesses. Or maybe you find a framework you like even more. So what now? Start over again? Continue with an implementation that's below your capabilities (which is kind of frustrating)?

I think it's a good idea to start with small projects and complete them, gradually increasing the complexity each time. It allows you to try out different tools, gather experience and still come up with actual results. Sure, you can also gather experience while rewriting some gigantic code base 10 times. But it's kinda frustrating and takes a lot of time for little outcome.
    Last edited by Jacques1; November 7th, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Since we neither know the exact project nor the status of it nor the current code, how are we supposed to evaluate the possible benefits of restarting everything with Laravel?

If you've already implemented 60% of the project with good, solid code, then obviously it wouldn't make a lot of sense to throw it all away and start over. If you're at 10%, and your code isn't the best, then it may indeed make sense to switch to Laravel. We can't tell.

What I generally recommend is to not start a huge project while you're still at an early stage of learning and don't have a solid understanding of tools and architecture yet. You'll get into the current situation again and again. Even if you switch to Laravel, I'm sure you'll later find out that there are other weaknesses. Or maybe you find a framework you like even more. So what now? Start over again? Continue with an implementation that's below your capabilities (which is kind of frustrating)?

I think it's a good idea to start with small projects and complete them, gradually increasing the complexity each time. It allows you to try out different tools, gather experience and still come up with actual results. Sure, you can also gather experience while rewriting some gigantic code base 10 times. But it's kinda frustrating and takes a lot of time for little outcome.
    Right now, I'm making a small project. A URL Shortener CMS using Laravel(like bit.ly).
    That'll be a good start. Isn't it??

And about my forum CMS, I've just almost finished making the page templates(not the other scripts).
  7. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
    A URL Shortener CMS using Laravel(like bit.ly).
    That'll be a good start. Isn't it??
    Yes.

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
    And about my forum CMS, I've just almost finished making the page templates(not the other scripts).
    Then you could switch to Laravel, I guess. But like I said, this won't be the last time you encounter this situation. In a few month, you'll probably ask yourself why on earth you've constructed the application the way you do now.

Like somebody once pointed out, in the fist years as a programmer you'll produce nothing but crap. Frameworks have improved this a bit, because they take you by the hand and prevent the kind of mess I did when I started with plain procedural PHP. But the statement still holds true. So I wouldn't invest too much time into the first projects. Use that time to investigate all the possibilities.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo