1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

How long does it take for me to learn Laravel (Laravel Vs Symphony))

Hi;

Last week my savings got 100k. The same day I lost my job. So I am happy and sad.

I am looking for advice.

I started learning php out of desperation back in 2006.

Since worked for shety companies, always did spaghetti php code... "shet code" my life for a few years.

In 2014 I found Laravel. Tried for a couple months and along the way got introduced to Codeigniter.

Got a project and worked on it for 3 years with CodeIgniter.

Finally learned a bit about MVC and the structure and a decent understanding of how things work.

But never learned the details.

Now I am in Thailand and don't have a job.

My cost is very low so I can last for a while.

This morning my cousin called me from San Fran and said he can invite me for a Laravel OR Symphony position for $140k plus benefits which is good since I am broke.

I consider myself a basic-medium level coder and not that fast.

Don't know much about Laraval or Symphony.

1 - How do recommend I prepare myself for the position so when I go I get the job?
    2 - Laravel Or Symphony?
    3 - Any other tips about anything... hit me

Thanks
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

Can't really say how long it'd take you to learn either. That's kind of a personal thing. I decided to try and learn some frameworks a couple years ago and evaluated both larval and symfony for a couple months. I was starting a couple new projects so I did one in laravel and one in symfony. I found symfony to be more to my liking so that's what I stuck with. It took me a solid 6 months to get a good understanding of the symfony mindset and start working with the framework rather than against it. It's been a little over 2 years now and I still am learning things bout it on deeper and deeper levels.

If you have time I'd suggest doing like I did, create something in each framework to help you get an understanding of how they work. If you're short on time then do lots of reading about them and seek out some example projects and examine them to understand how they are setup and how the framework functions.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by kicken
    Can't really say how long it'd take you to learn either. That's kind of a personal thing. I decided to try and learn some frameworks a couple years ago and evaluated both larval and symfony for a couple months. I was starting a couple new projects so I did one in laravel and one in symfony. I found symfony to be more to my liking so that's what I stuck with. It took me a solid 6 months to get a good understanding of the symfony mindset and start working with the framework rather than against it. It's been a little over 2 years now and I still am learning things bout it on deeper and deeper levels.

If you have time I'd suggest doing like I did, create something in each framework to help you get an understanding of how they work. If you're short on time then do lots of reading about them and seek out some example projects and examine them to understand how they are setup and how the framework functions.

Bases on what I know from you Kicken... If it took you a solid 6 months, it probably takes me 6 decades.
    Last edited by English Breakfast Tea; February 3rd, 2018 at 02:56 AM.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm really sorry for off-topic, but this part intrigued me:

This morning my cousin called me from San Fran and said he can invite me for a Laravel OR Symphony position for $140k plus benefits which is good since I am broke.
    I guess this is USD, right? So it translates into over 11K a month. And you say it's good just because you are broke. What is considered good under "normal conditions" in USA then?

P.S. I know USA tax system is different from EU, so maybe 11K is before taxes and after taxes you don't have much money left? In EU, taxes for employee would be about 15%, so he would still have 10K in his hands at the end of month, which is more than enough to be a wealthy person (maybe not the one who drives Bentley, but you get the point).
  9. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

Originally Posted by phpmillion
    P.S. I know USA tax system is different from EU, so maybe 11K is before taxes and after taxes you don't have much money left? In EU, taxes for employee would be about 15%, so he would still have 10K in his hands at the end of month, which is more than enough to be a wealthy person (maybe not the one who drives Bentley, but you get the point).
    According to a tax calculator that 140k would end up being about 92k after taxes, or about $7,666 per month. You'd probably loose a bit more to health insurance costs, not sure how much but lets round to 7k for that. San Francisco has an incredibly high cost of living, with a place to live costing around 2.5 to 3k. That leaves around 4.5k-ish for all your other living expenses(food, transportation, phone, internet, etc) which will also be higher than normal.

So one certainly wouldn't be broke at that salary, but I don't think I'd consider them wealthy either. Standard middle-class maybe.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  11. A Change of Season

Kicken's numbers are confirmed, however....

It looks like the offer is $100 k since they have to sponsor me and I have the option to New York.

About "which framework" to learn...

Symphony 4 seems to be the bomb.

However, Laravel's learning curve is quicker.

What do you recommend I go for?

Thanks
  13. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

No idea on the frameworks. Don't get blinded by the pay numbers, either. $100k in San Fran is like minimum wage. You won't starve, probably, but it's not like making $100k in the mid-west.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  15. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    No idea on the frameworks. Don't get blinded by the pay numbers, either. $100k in San Fran is like minimum wage. You won't starve, probably, but it's not like making $100k in the mid-west.

Well;

I can start with $100, then as I get the experience, I can apply for a pay rise or other companies.

So much happening in Manhattan.

It looks like a lot of companies are desperate for skilled programmers with "good attitude".

A lot of coders are social retards and terrible communicators.

Sooner or later I get good at Lara or Symf.

I also have a lot of public speaking experience and teaching at the university.

I donno... I might be wrong but at this stage I have to take a shot and be positive.
  17. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't disagree. Go for it!
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo