1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to learn php well?

I want to learn php,how to learn it well?please give me some ideas,
    thank you!
  3. No Profile Picture

There is an official website of PHP, which is www.php.net So you can use this site to learn PHP in a proper manner.

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees : You really love w3schools, do you? :-(
    Last edited by ManiacDan; December 21st, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

annaharris, are you somehow affiliated to w3schools? I've already linked you to http://w3fools.com/ last time, so I find it a bit surprising that you still recommend that site.

w3schools is one of the worst resources for learning, because it's full of nonsense, obsolete information and bad code. They don't even manage to write a valid HTML document throughout their whole HTML "tutorial". So that's the last place you want to get your information from.

A pretty good tutorial is the Quakenet/#php Tutorial. Some people also read books.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well for absolute newbies without any programming skills, Id recommend you to read a book. The one I used was Matt Zandstra's Sam's teach yourself PHP in 24 hours, its somewhat obsolete now since the syntax uses PHP4(makes sense considering the time it came out). There are other good alternatives that begins with PHP 5.2 or even 5.3, try them. If you are in a school that offers good web design/programming course, take it. These things help you much more than books and articles possibly can offer.

For some reason I believe internet articles are for more advanced PHP coders, at least those with intermediate programming skills. If a programmer tells you to go to php.net, it aint gonna help you much 'cause absolute beginners cant learn by reading php's official documentation. A different story though if you are proficient in other languages such as Java and C#, in this case you surely can improve quite decently with just php.net.
  9. No Profile Picture

dont stick to one source. you may find many tutorial websites for php. I recommend php.defaultlibrary.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo