Thread: Learning PHP

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

best site to learn php is w3school.com but they don't go for advance PHP , you can goto that site , they provide ADVANCE PHP training Php Training In Ludhiana

Originally Posted by trnghosh
    What is the best method of learning php by my own?

I think if I get some small project ( only for practice) and try by myself how to do it then it will be easier to learn. Is there any place from where I can get those project?

I also need some advice in this regard.

Thanks.

trnghosh

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees : w3school.com is a bad resource, and what does this "PHP training" to do with the question?
  3. No Profile Picture

Smile

At the beginning when I was troubled by the same question but now I'm perfect in PHP. I found the best way for me to learn PHP by yourself - It might be helpful to you also.

Some of the important activities for learning PHP online:

- Start reading an online e-book by downloading it
    - Try small-small script execution by yourself to build confidence within you and to clear basic concept
    - Take in hand small project and complete it, then you will feel proud of yourself

By following above activities, I'm sure you definitely become a good Web Developer (PHP programmer).
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Deepprogrammer
    best site to learn php is w3school.com
    No, that's not a good resource. They "teach" a lot of half-knowledge, bad practices and plain nonsense -- and they make it look like they're associated with the W3C (which they're not).

There's even a "debunking" website about them:
    http://w3fools.com/

So I would not use this website for learning, even though they scream the loudest and pop up in every search result.
  7. No Profile Picture

I think the individual has to get to skill for php.Because,php could understood thanks to the individual's algorithm intelligence.So,php is not easy but is not difficult.

The difficulty level always related to this.Which is time spent with pc

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    No, that's not a good resource. They "teach" a lot of half-knowledge, bad practices and plain nonsense -- and they make it look like they're associated with the W3C (which they're not).

There's even a "debunking" website about them:
    http://w3fools.com/

So I would not use this website for learning, even though they scream the loudest and pop up in every search result.
    Back in the day, the best resources were called programmers reference guides, now we have the Internets. If you've not done any real programming before, or your understanding of programming principles is poor at best, the site I mentioned is a good place to start.

I've suggested C programming sites in the past to people who want to learn, but most people at a basic level of learning can't see beyond the syntax of a particular language and are scared off by seeing C source code because it isn't PHP or Java or whatever. Many novice programmers used to be scared off by programmers reference guides as well as I recall. But the point is that you never stop learning in this industry, and although lots will change, programming principles haven't really done so since the Commodore PET or before.

Regards,

Shaun.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've actually looked through the W3Fools site recommended, and it mentions PHP a total of seven times. I disagree with this:

Being badly educated hampers your ability to score a good job.
    I actually find that I learnt more from the bad lecturers than from the good ones, because I bother to check my facts. A bad lecturer will tell you something that doesn't make sense: if you check it and do some learning for yourself, you're likely to remember it better and can be a smarty pants in the next lecture ;-)

I also disagree with this:

Professional web developers do not recommend the use of WYSIWYG editors.
    I don't think so. Language snobs and elitists do not like IDEs and are able to give many intellectual and entirely arbitrary arguments as to why; developers want to get on with the job with choose the best tools available to them.

So, for PHP, W3Schools is a good starting point, but you should always triangulate your sources and do some leg work for yourself and never assume that just one resources is always going to be correct.

Regards,

Shaun.
  13. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Shaun_B
    I've actually looked through the W3Fools site recommended, and it mentions PHP a total of seven times.
    I don't want this to be yet another discussion, so I won't go through all the arguments.

The thing is: There are good resources which actually teach you correct programming (like php.net), and there are bad resources with many factual errors and questionable advice (like w3schools.com).

I think most people want their learning material to be good and correct. I mean, when you buy a PHP book, do you choose the one that many people recommend? Or the one with the most negative reviews?

For example, the w3schools PHP tutorial completely fails at regarding or at least explaining security issues. They just dump everything directly into the HTML/query/... without any escaping. They do have a chapter on filtering input, but it doesn't say anything about htmlentities() or mysql_real_escape_string().

So why use this tutorial? Pretty much every other tutorial (or forum) is a better resource for learning:

http://php.net/manual/en/tutorial.php
    http://www.tizag.com/phpT/index.php
    http://tut.php-quake.net/en/

Or simply buy a good book.
  15. No Profile Picture

aboutphp.info PHP tutorial for beginners

New site with php tutorials for beginners. aboutphp.info

Some of the lessons:

What is the Web Server? How does it work?
    How to install the XAMPP? Installation of the XAMPP package

Working with strings in PHP

If statement, else statement, else if statement, and switch statement
    Using $ _POST and $ _GET variables in PHP programming

visit
    aboutphp.info
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo