Thread: Learning PHP

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs down Learning PHP

What is the best method of learning php by my own?

I think if I get some small project ( only for practice) and try by myself how to do it then it will be easier to learn. Is there any place from where I can get those project?

I also need some advice in this regard.

Thanks.

trnghosh
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

why did you decide to learn PHP in the first place? Just for general knowledge? Or is there something you actually want to do? If it's the latter (which I suppose), then why not start with that?

I don't know, but this "I'm looking for a random training project" always sounds strange to me. Shouldn't you have the interests and ideas? You'll learn most when you do real life projects that you actually want to use and not just training stuff.
    Last edited by Jacques1; November 1st, 2012 at 03:00 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

W3Schools - http://www.w3schools.com/ - will get you started, and if you want to learn PHP, learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript and SQL as well.

Regards,

Shaun.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

why did you decide to learn PHP in the first place? Just for general knowledge? Or is there something you actually want to do? If it's the latter (which I suppose), then why not start with that?

I don't know, but this "I'm looking for a random training project" always sounds strange to me. Shouldn't you have the interests and ideas? You'll learn most when you do real life projects that you actually want to use and not just training stuff.
    Thanks for the reply. Now why I want to learn php? I know to some extant html,css and previously worked on Flash. Now my problem is constant reading php/mysql books seems to help me in learning but I think real life project is something different. So I like to learn through project obviously small at the very first. Regarding interest I must have these otherwise I will not try learn this one. Now like to know the best way to learn php. I seek your advice in this regard.
  9. No Profile Picture

Wink

Originally Posted by Shaun_B
    W3Schools - http://www.w3schools.com/ - will get you started, and if you want to learn PHP, learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript and SQL as well.

Regards,

Shaun.
    I have some knowledge in html/css. My problem is while reading books on php/mysql it seems that I learn something , but when I think any project I could not think how to get started. Simply one example:- I think of a quiz page with multiple choice question and result to be shown in the page after completion. I think there may be some example, but I like to do by myself. But could not get started and for that I put this question, how to proceed and take a start.JUST NOVICE QUESTION but shall be glad if you extend your expertise in these.
    Thanks for the reply.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by trnghosh
    I have some knowledge in html/css. My problem is while reading books on php/mysql it seems that I learn something , but when I think any project I could not think how to get started. Simply one example:- I think of a quiz page with multiple choice question and result to be shown in the page after completion. I think there may be some example, but I like to do by myself. But could not get started and for that I put this question, how to proceed and take a start.JUST NOVICE QUESTION but shall be glad if you extend your expertise in these.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Download XAMPP control panel as it will set up your machine as if it's a server. Test that it's working by entering localhost into your web browser, or enter 127.0.0.1, which should point to the htdocs folder in [path]/xammp - you can put your example PHP in there if that's the trouble you're having.

Once you've got that working, have a look how you'd set up the httpd-vhosts.conf file and the hosts file in your Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/ directory.

This all assumes that you're using a Windows 32-bit system of course.

Have fun,

Shaun.
  13. No Profile Picture

I have installed wamp in my windows environment. Now how should I proceed. Taking examples from the books or go for some other way?
    Thanks for the reply so far.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You could have a look at making a simple blog site in PHP interfacing a database. A fully-featured blog site will include a user log in and will allow editing entries to it etc.

Regards,

Shaun.
  17. No Profile Picture

You could have a look at making a simple blog site in PHP interfacing a database. A fully-featured blog site will include a user log in and will allow editing entries to it etc.

Regards,

Shaun.
    Thanks. Let me see how can I improve myself.

Thanks.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The tutorial that I found very useful is here. Read through it carefully as you'll probably find it useful.

Regards,

Shaun.
  21. Contributing User

I just loved Jason W. Gilmour's book PHP from Novice to Expert.

It also explains about MySQL and many related topics including security in SQL/PHP.

It's a must. It wasn't expensive in my country - where everything is really more expensive than it's real value.
  23. No Profile Picture

The tutorial that I found very useful is here. Read through it carefully as you'll probably find it useful.

Regards,

Shaun.
    Once again thanks for your help.
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MauroEldritch
    I just loved Jason W. Gilmour's book PHP from Novice to Expert.

It also explains about MySQL and many related topics including security in SQL/PHP.

It's a must. It wasn't expensive in my country - where everything is really more expensive than it's real value.
    Thanks. All of you are so helpful here !!

Thanks.
  27. Contributing User

Originally Posted by trnghosh
    Thanks. All of you are so helpful here !!

Thanks.
    You're welcome. I hated PHP when I was younger, because I couldn't find the proper learning resources.

If you need a hand, feel free to ask me anytime you open a new thread on PHP.

Regards!
  29. No Profile Picture

Glad to hear it. Actually I tried to learn it from reading books and whenever I asked some one about the way how to learn it , it seems I made a wrong question. Really glad for your response.
    Downloaded the book you mentioned here and I will now try it.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo