1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

About learning php web services (SOAP, REST)

Hello forum;

I need some directon please. I am readeing on Web Services, I want to do the whole xml experince with SOAP. I see it is critical to understand xml.

In order to do so I have 2 options.
    1. Read xml on w3schools.com, pages like this
    2. Buy a book like this

The quesiton here is: Which one is a btter option? This xml book is about 800 pages, there is a good chance I get lost in the middle. On the other hand if I want to do w3schools, is it enough info?

Thank you.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Don't use w3schools

You don't really need a book either, the wiki article should be enough. Xml isn't a programming language, it's just a structure, and it has very few rules
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Transforming Moderator

XML has a couple core concepts that are important to know, namespaces and WSDLs/schemas being the hardest, but otherwise there's really not much to learn. I agree with Dan: a wiki article should cover pretty much everything.

SOAP, on the other hand, is different. It's an entire protocol. I suggest you learn how to use SOAP in terms of programming (eg, PHP) and put off understanding the rest until you see how SOAP itself works. You do need to be able to read schemas a bit, but mostly just to translate it into code - don't worry about writing them just yet.
  7. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Dan, at a glance is there anything here that you don't agree with?
  9. Sarcky

I don't see anything objectionable at first glance, but I don't have any of that memorized (unlike the PHP articles, which I can prove wrong from memory).
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo