1. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Looking for an open source PHP+MySQL eCommerce Solution

Hi,

I'm looking for a PHP+MySQL eCommerce solution, so welcome recommendations

I have tried, and not liked:

magento - too slow, even with accelerators. Cumbersome to use, CMS functionality poor

opencart - Anything other than the intended layout almost impossible, banners and carousel confusing. limited features and cheap and nasty extensions. Poorly built and thus the origin for vqmod

prestashop - uses smarty, noticed the need to use the addslashes filter in the smarty templates

opencart and magento (and possibly others too) seem do a file_exists for every template file not in the default theme. IMO this is poor architecture when there could be 10 - 100 template files per request.

So, my requirements (ontop of the common functionality)

customisable home page / homepage template (eg featured products, copy, multiple banners/carousel with links)

CMS for non product pages, with various templates and customisable fields

easy to theme from design/development perspective

Above all - easy to use - non techy clients are going to be using it and administering it
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

eCommerce Best Platform

As open source I suggest you to go for Magento
  5. Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by asadsaffa
    As open source I suggest you to go for Magento
    Originally Posted by me
    magento - too slow, even with accelerators. Cumbersome to use, CMS functionality poor
    So, no
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Some popular cms like cmsmadesimple, wordpress, tikiwiki & others have basic e-commerce plugins available. Maybe some scaled-down ecommerce like that would work for you. I don't have any specific recommendations though, haven't tried any myself.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. Mad Scientist

trying TomatoCart at the moment....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo