1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lost here... Help, please

My very first post at a programmer forum. EEK!
    I hope I'm in the right section. I don't know which is best -- php, cgi, pearl....
    PLEASE direct me to the right one.... Thank you!

Interested in having two programs/scripts made, but I don't know programming and now just wondering if you think they are possible.

Script one: Is it possible to have a Log of all links clicked on my site, and also logging the links clicked on those next pages...? This is actually difficult to write! haha I hope you got that. Hmmm... My domain,'D-A'; link 'L-A' clicked and logged. 'L-A', going to new domain, 'D-B'; link clicked there (L-B) and logged. 'L-B' going to 'D-C' (or somewhere else within 'D-B') and link 'L-C' clicked and logged. So on, so on...and make it stop! hahaha

Second one: (I saw something like this a loooong time ago and now can't find it anywhere. Hundreds of keywords at google, but no luck.) From a link directory, when clicking a link, a little banner-like thing would follow in the browser, in which you could quickly vote on the page you're on. Know what I mean? And what would be amazing is: It continues to follow, so visitors could add whatever site they're at to the directory.... I'm just starting a link directory and looking into complicated fun stuff now. That voting thing would be very useful I've been sketching out different functions to perhaps add to it (once found) and for a programmer to have at it. Also, curious: If this browser-following script could actually serve to make 'script one' possible... ? Feeling some connection there, but...I need to stop before my brain catches on fire haha hi

You guys are great. Many thanks.
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

a banner that's following the user to any website -- not only the ones in the directory -- is malware (unless the user specifically installed a browser plugin).

What you have to understand is that HTTP is a stateless protocol. There is no persistent connection, just a sequence of independent requests and responses. So you cannot pop up a banner and keep it there while the user browses from page to page. Either every single page has to pop up its own banner, or you need a browser plugin.

The same goes for the links. But this is rather useless, anyway, because the webserver already logs all requests (with the "referrer" telling you if he's coming from a link).
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This has to be a browser plugin, and it sounds pretty nefarious.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo