Thread: MVC PHP Book

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

MVC PHP Book

Hi Guys,

Whilst looking in depth at Joomla, I needed to start to learn about the MVC software architecture (because Joomla has been coded in such a way). I have found a number of MVC tutorials on the web which give an introduction to how you go about coding MVC but i cannot seem to locate a good book on the subject. I would ideally like a book thats written in a tutorial style manner, starting out with the basics and then moving onto more advanced topics if possible. My background is in PHP programming and im already familiar with OO concepts but i havent done too much with MVC. So my question is does anyone have a good book that they could recommend to fit my requirements?

Thanks in advance.

P.s. There are a whole host of books describing MVC use using ASP.Net - but i cant use them because my background is in PHP.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

MVC should be MVC no matter what programming lang you read up on..

i
  5. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

MVC is a really simple concept: keep your models (data, like database stuff) separate from your controllers (normal code, like what processes forms) separate from your views (output, like what uses echos and such). That's it.

The way you go about doing that varies so much it's not possible for a book to cover MVC as a whole. What they can do is target specific frameworks, like .NET's MVC library: it is actually named "MVC", just like how PHP has "WordPress" and "Zend Framework".

Your best bet is to find a book on Joomla itself.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your response - I have got a joomla book that goes through the code in detail it's just that I got a bit lost when originally reading it and wanted a good book that described all the ins and out of mvc so that I'd have a good grounding in that first before trying to understand how joomla was put together. From the online tutorials I have read people do seem to code mvc applications differently. I have found two books that I think may be suitable. Which one do you think is better to read to understand mvc better (if any)

Book one

Book two

Thanks in advance

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo