1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mysqli connect into PDO connect

I have been reading and have been told that prepared statements are one way to prevent SQL injections.

My mysqli conect works, but my new PDO statement doesn't connect

$username = "root";
    $password = "1212";
    try {
    $conn = new PDO('mysql:host=localhost;dbname=test', $username, $password);
    $conn->setAttribute(PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE, PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION);
    } catch(PDOException $e) {
    echo 'ERROR: ' . $e->getMessage();
    }

Can you tell me why this doesn't work?

Thanks in advance friends
  3. DEVILS IN RED

Are you getting any errors echoed?
    Ahmed Shefeer
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

Originally Posted by phpnewbie34
    Can you tell me why this doesn't work?
    How could we tell you when you don't even know what your problem is? What makes you think the code "doesn't work"?
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Re:

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

How could we tell you when you don't even know what your problem is? What makes you think the code "doesn't work"?
    Code:
    $query = mysqli_query($con,"SELECT * FROM pixs WHERE title LIKE '%$keyword%' OR Description LIKE '%$keyword%'");
    The above code produces an error when used with this.

Code:
    Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, object given in C:\xampp\htdocs\PhpProject1\pagination2.php on line 14

I am currently trying to switch my code from Mysqli statements into PDO so it is more secure.
  9. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

You cannot mix MySQLi and PDO, they're incompatible. So you cannot pass a PDO connection to mysqli_query() (which is what you tried).

Also, you won't get your code secure if you keep inserting variables directly into your queries. Don't do that. You need to use prepared statements. It doesn't matter if you use prepared statements with MySQLi or with PDO.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo